EMG Flyers

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

EMG Flyers

Post by chunnybh »

Here are two very rare EMG flyers which shine a light on the early models. Courtesy of Rod Cornelius
The first one is for the EMG Standard model; note it does not mention Mk VIII. It also mentions the Deluxe model, "with a lid which totally encloses the machine when not in use", suggesting the Darrieulat VIII. What does that make the half-lid VIII?
emg-standard-viii-flyer-1.jpg
emg-standard-viii-flyer-2.jpg
The next one is even earlier. 1926-7?
This one features the EMG Super Table Grand and the EMG Standard Pedestal Model. The flyer mentions "Pedestal, Console or Table Grand models". Just to confuse things of course, advertisements for the EMG Pedestal model in the Gramophone magazine clearly show a "Console" model.
Attachments
emg-pedistal-flyer-3.jpg
emg-pedistal-flyer-4.jpg
emg-gramophone-pedestal-model-12.jpg
Last edited by chunnybh on Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: EMG Flyers

Post by Steve »

I'm not sure there's any physical difference between the "Standard Model" and a Mark VIII.

I believe the Mark VIII with part lid was still a standard Mark VIII but simply marketed with the option of that extra?

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

The Standard Model is the Mk VIII. Interesting the flyer does not mention that. Perhaps the Mk numbers were introduces in hindsight.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Weren't the "Mark xx" numbers introduced in 1928? If so, the top ad conceivably pre-dates this period. I do believe that some EMGs were given numbers in retrospect.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Thank you Chunny, this is fascinating. I agree, it seems likely the Mk numbers came to be used later in retrospect - if I remember correctly, the lower numbers originated from Davey's designs before he joined EMG.

Interesting that at this time the Deluxe model's lid "totally encloses the machine when not in use" whereas on later examples the lid does not extend to cover the horn socket and can be closed whilst playing, an advantage in reducing needle talk.

EXTREMELY exciting and news to me is the mention of Grahamstown University, South Africa amongst the esteemed users. This gives a definite link between EMG and the origins of Burmese Colour Needles - Capt. Ramsay, the main BCN protagonist, was also Head of the new Psychology department there from 1926 until losing both his academic position and the business circa 1930.

(Edit - apologies for posting in haste, and missing that you'd already made the same point about the lids Chunny, but better than I regarding uncertain nomenclature - have we just habitually/incorrectly referred to the half-lid model as a Deluxe???)
Last edited by Orchorsol on Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Many thanks for sharing, Chunny - wonderful to see, and I am sure very rare to see from early in EMG history.
chunnybh wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:19 am Here are two very rare EMG flyers which shine a light on the early models.
The first one is for the EMG Standard model; note it does not mention Mk VIII. It also mentions the Deluxe model, "with a lid which totally encloses the machine when not in use", suggesting the Darrieulat VIII. What does that make the half-lid VIII?

emg-standard-viii-flyer-1.jpgemg-standard-viii-flyer-2.jpg

The next one is even earlier. 1926-7?
This one features the EMG Super Table Grand and the EMG Standard Pedestal Model. The flyer mentions "Pedestal, Console or Table Grand models". Just to confuse things of course, advertisements for the EMG Pedestal model in the Gramophone magazine clearly show a "Console" model.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Very interesting, and a source of green :mrgreen: to us, still not owners of any of these super-gramophones...!
:D
Entertainment and Joy!
Thanks a lot!
Inigo

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

Very nice to see! I like the look of the standard pedestal model, almost hmv 510/511 in appearance

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Very interesting and rare flyers Chunny. I have never seen them before and thank you very much for being generous enough to share them here. Much appreciated. I always thought the "half-lid" (two-thirds actually) was the De-Luxe model---seems to be pictured as such in Frank's book (page 33) although hard to tell conclusively from the print ?

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

I always thought the turntable ¾ lid version was the Deluxe model. Perhaps the name carried on from the Darrieulat version as I am sure not many of them were commissioned. Always confusing with EMG paraphernalia; sometimes even the advertisements show the wrong model.
Apologies for the watermarks. Unfortunately, I often get scammers trying to sell me my own stuff. Very annoying.