The different fabrics used on HMV portables

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

The different fabrics used on HMV portables

Post by nostalgia »

I have met a problem when restoring my blue HMV 97, and thought it could be an idea to put this into a thread, and at the same time discuss the different fabrics used on HMV portables.
1. My understanding is that the HMV 101 and 102 has a rexin cover, which is synthetic leather. Are the same fabric used for all the 101 and 102 models?
2. When cleaning my HMV 97 models they seem much more sensitive to cleaning with non abrasive Swarfega ( that I use for all my machines really) than the 101/102, meaning the color more easily wear off. If I have understood it right a paper base material is used for the 97 models, right or wrong?
3. Do all the portables made after the 102, have the same paper base material, or do they differ from model to model, thinking post 102 models?
4. Have someone found a good product to use for cleaning the fabric on post HMV 102 portables?

I am attaching a photo of the inner lid of my blue 97 after cleaning with Swarfega, we can see white areas after cleaning, areas that I now will try to cover with blue shoe cream..after carefully testing non visible areas on the machine.
Attachments
HMV 97 lid.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: The different fabrics used on HMV portables

Post by gramophoneshane »

1) Yes, the 101 and 102, and many others were covered in Rexine.
Rexine was company trademarked name of their product which is basically fabric painted with cellulose nitrate and some other ingredients, then embossed under pressure with a textured grain to resemble leather mostly, or snake skin or whatever. It was used on a great many things, from book binding to upholstery, and it came in dozens, if not hundreds of different colours, textures and I imagine different qualities too.
I don't know the recipe they used, but I think it's reasonable to assume that some ingredients probably went through changes over time, so the Rexine of 1925 was probably slightly different to Rexine in 1945..

2) No, the Rexine on a 97 is not paper based. It's the same basic coated fabric, although it is possiblity a cheaper poorer quality used on the lesser model portables, and it was used on the outer surface of the case.

The inside however IS paper and not Rexine. This paper was sometime also embossed to resemble grained leather, and was used on the motor board and inside the lid.
Like any paper, wetting it with chemical cleaner or even plain water is most likely going to damage it. I'm no expert on paper cleaning, but if it was me I wouldn't use anything except maybe a soft gum pencil eraser. I've heard of people using bread dough and other stuff to clean paper products, but not having tried any I can't say how good or bad the perform.

As you've discovered, attempting to clean the paper will result in removing dye/colour.
from the surface

3) I have no idea myself which models use paper apart from those I own, a 97 and 88. It should be fairly easy to distinguish what's Rexine and what's paper though.

4) personally, I think mild soap and water works wonders removing general dirty and oils. Its just best to use the soap as suds or foam rather that saturating everything in soap and water.
With any cleaning method or product you use, just try to make the surface damp rather than wet, and work as quickly as possible to clean rinse and dry it to prevent softening the glue underneath.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: The different fabrics used on HMV portables

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks A LOT for answering so extensively to the thread, Shane ! I had no idea the outside and the inside lid of the HMV 97 were covered with two different materials, and it explains why the inner lid could not stand the Swarfega, while the outside had no problem getting cleaned with the same product. And yes, making the surface damp rather than wet is always important, and totally avoid using Swarfega for colored paper covering on HMV portables.