So what's the story on this Parlophon?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

So what's the story on this Parlophon?

Post by gramophone-georg »

Aside from it being overpriced and most definitely NOT restored... is it real, or is it Banus Banus, or is it someone's fantasy piece? I am curious. Thanks much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EXTREM-RAR-MUS ... 4320058682
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: So what's the story on this Parlophon?

Post by Curt A »

It looks real to me... but what do I know?

Just curious... what is "Banus Banus" ?
Attachments
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Not this, I guess...
Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.23.08 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:24 pm Not this, I guess...

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 5.23.08 PM.png
Banus- Banus is a family in Spain (I believe) that made reproduction and fantasy gramophones for decades. You can't really call them "Crapophones" because they are quite well made.

Thanks for posting the pics, BTW. Seems getting that done here is above my pay grade.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

After only two small years in this game ( after a 28 year long hiatus), I would myself be very skeptical to buying this gramophone even for a fraction of the listed price. For instance the tonearm looks very suspicious to me, how it is built and how the parts are connected. The motor is also not impressive...To me the gramophone looks constructed. BUT who am I to know, so I would love to be proven wrong to learn more !!

(If I was selling this gramophone, I would also not sell it with the panel close to falling out, where the back bracket is connected, but that's another story...)
Attachments
s-l1600b.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

I think it is original , original Parlophone , motor and soundbox , beautiful art nouveau designed stand / case , Sellers plaque Hess & Co , Deft and perhaps blue Deft tiles in the base ?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

soundgen wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:40 am I think it is original , original Parlophone , motor and soundbox , beautiful art nouveau designed stand / case , Sellers plaque Hess & Co , Deft and perhaps blue Deft tiles in the base ?
I agree with you, Mike. I think its genuine too. Certainly the arm, soundbox, back-bracket, elbow and motor are genuine Parlophone parts. The horn appears to be right too. Its such a great and unique design if I was in the market for one I'd buy it anyway and not care either way.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

nostalgia wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:05 am After only two small years in this game ( after a 28 year long hiatus), I would myself be very skeptical to buying this gramophone even for a fraction of the listed price. For instance the tonearm looks very suspicious to me, how it is built and how the parts are connected. The motor is also not impressive...To me the gramophone looks constructed. BUT who am I to know, so I would love to be proven wrong to learn more !!

(If I was selling this gramophone, I would also not sell it with the panel close to falling out, where the back bracket is connected, but that's another story...)
The parts are genuine including the tone-arm. I have a genuine Parlophone machine with identical hardware.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

On 16th November 2018 this similar machine was included in a collectors sale at Lawrences of Crewkerne, which somehow I missed.
It did not sell, but had I attended I might have been tempted. The waste of space of that design is extravagant but stylish.

https://www.lawrences.co.uk/sales/fine- ... -lot/1239/

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:07 am On 16th November 2018 this similar machine was included in a collectors sale at Lawrences of Crewkerne, which somehow I missed.
It did not sell, but had I attended I might have been tempted. The waste of space of that design is extravagant but stylish.

https://www.lawrences.co.uk/sales/fine- ... -lot/1239/
Attachments
aartnouveau.jpg