So what's the story on this Parlophon?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: So what's the story on this Parlophon?

Post by CarlosV »

It is a legitimate machine, but the seller only accepts bank transfers, which would not be a prudent thing to do. There is not even a town in the seller info, it only indicates Germany. Caveat emptor.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

I think it is likely authentic but I have never seen this design. I own one quite nice Art Noveau Parlophon, but the arm and massive 4 spring motor seem more HMV or DGAG on mine than Parlophon- which may simply mean that it's a later iteration. There is a machine identical to mine in the Marty book- and was just sold from his collection recently- that is identical to mine but with the style of arm that is on the one being discussed here. I found that machine last year. There is a back story to it- when I was a child, my paternal grandparents had a machine and records in their attic that I was allowed to play with. That's what got me started in this hobby some 55 years ago or so now.

That machine was very ornate, and I never saw another in decades of keeping an eye out- until I saw the one I now own. It's such a fashionable machine that I have gotten sort of bitten by the Parlophon "bug". I really like the looks of the machine I posted here, but the price and the prospect of having it packed and shipped all the way to USA and having it arrive intact is a huge hurdle- not to mention condition, but that's almost immaterial compared to logistics.

I will post some pics of mine and start a thread once I get it how I want it.

Thanks for all the input. I am new to these Euro machines and need to tread carefully, from what I am seeing out there. ;)
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

CarlosV wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:43 pm It is a legitimate machine, but the seller only accepts bank transfers, which would not be a prudent thing to do. There is not even a town in the seller info, it only indicates Germany. Caveat emptor.
Of course. If I get serious I may see if there is anyone on the forum here or in my Mercedes/ Porsche/ VW circles nearby that can assist. It needs a TON of work from what I can see, and the fact it's advertised as "restored" really gives me pause, but the seller seems to have good feedback and maybe just is not a gramo guy. There are tons of "maybes" in this equation. If it was ⅓ the price it would perhaps be more worth rolling the dice, but again, I may be being "cheap". It would not be the first time! :)

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

That is a good looking "Art Nouveau" design.
Art Nouveau being the French branch of the movement.
In Germany it's called Jugendstil and is very different from French.
Here's another form of the pedestal style from Germany.
Phonographische Zeitschrift 1914 cabinets.jpg
James.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Roaring20s wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm That is a good looking "Art Nouveau" design.

James.
Hi James- Yes, thanks- ich bin selbst Deutscher, but everyone knows "Art Noveau" and nobody knows Jugendstil. But you are right, the Jugendstil is not as "finished" as Art Noveau, I think.

Thanks for posting that ad- the horn elbow makes me wonder if Rube Goldberg ever worked for Lindstrom.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:50 am
Roaring20s wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:35 pm That is a good looking "Art Nouveau" design.

James.
Hi James- Yes, thanks- ich bin selbst Deutscher, but everyone knows "Art Noveau" and nobody knows Jugendstil. But you are right, the Jugendstil is not as "finished" as Art Noveau, I think.

Thanks for posting that ad- the horn elbow makes me wonder if Rube Goldberg ever worked for Lindstrom.
No it was heath Robinson who worked for them ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

soundgen wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:58 am
gramophone-georg wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:50 am

James.

No it was heath Robinson who worked for them ! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson
:D
Any relation to a certain "old country chemist" that we are familiar with?

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

All of the attachements to this post have dissapeared anyone know why ?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

soundgen wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:37 am All of the attachements to this post have dissapeared anyone know why ?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=52726
Hoping and praying that David can restore things so that vast amounts of knowledge are not lost...
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Without bumping the Columbia Index thread below here, I can also see that many photos have disappeared from that thread. I also now checked the very long thread with tenfold of photos of Japan made Columbia gramophones, photos I have personally uploaded. They are all gone. :? viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44519&hilit=columbia+holy+grail