Nipper figurine/statues, genuine or not...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Nipper figurine/statues, genuine or not...

Post by gramophoneshane »

Steve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 am Its not Japanese. These modern resin figures were I believe originally commissioned in the late 1980s by the Late Richard Taylor, here in the UK. At least that is what he told me back in 1992 when I bought my first of three from him.
Mine is definitely plaster, and they were being sold here in Australia, along with the reproduction Trademark machines, in early 1984, which is when I was first offered a machine plus Nipper by a collector who was selling off his collection due to devorce.
If I remember correctly it was George Paul who once posted here that the machines with a soundbox serial number J18425 were a Japanese made reproduction, so I assumed that the plaster Nipper that was always sold with the machines originally, also came from Japan.
Perhaps the mould for the late 80's resin Nippers made by Mr.Taylor was taken from one of the plaster statues?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I just checked and it was actually Wayne (gramophone78) who posted the Japanese serial number.

viewtopic.php?t=41391

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:41 am
Steve wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 am Its not Japanese. These modern resin figures were I believe originally commissioned in the late 1980s by the Late Richard Taylor, here in the UK. At least that is what he told me back in 1992 when I bought my first of three from him.
Mine is definitely plaster, and they were being sold here in Australia, along with the reproduction Trademark machines, in early 1984, which is when I was first offered a machine plus Nipper by a collector who was selling off his collection due to devorce.
If I remember correctly it was George Paul who once posted here that the machines with a soundbox serial number J18425 were a Japanese made reproduction, so I assumed that the plaster Nipper that was always sold with the machines originally, also came from Japan.
Perhaps the mould for the late 80's resin Nippers made by Mr.Taylor was taken from one of the plaster statues?
Richard didn't make them but I believe he was instrumental in getting them made in resin from a pattern for an earlier (plaster?) model.

The plaster ones, which slightly pre-date the resin versions, were probably made in Japan, yes.