Cliftophone reproducer - UPDATE

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Is anyone familiar with a Cliftophone reproducer?

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 am If the problem is the diaphragm this could be because celluloid becomes hard and brittle over time. It’s an inevitable problem with most early plastics that they will deteriorate. If the future looks bleak for humanity it is also bleak for the Cliftophone. Perhaps they sounded really good when new, after all Brunswick bought them out.

I am wondering if you could apply a thin coat of linseed or mineral oil to the celluloid, this could then be lightly over coated with a small amount of alcohol (methylated spirit/denatured alcohol). The idea is to penetrate the celluloid and soften it so that it goes back to being more compliant for sound reproduction. Alcohol is an ingredient of celluloid but there is a danger it could melt the celluloid. I guess you could test the edge or I’ve got some old bits of celluloid I could dig out and test with meths to see how it reacts. This is only an idea...

This assumes it’s not the gaskets...

Celluloid goes bad when its camphor content evaporates, so solvents or oils wouldn't help as much.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Cliftophone reproducer - UPDATE

Post by jamiegramo »

Curt, thank you for the follow-up. Always interesting to hear how a problem is solved and where the source of a problem lies.

Perhaps the only thing going for the Cliftophone diaphragm was it’s attractive appearance and even that becomes fairly worthless considering the angle of the soundbox and that it’s hardly in view.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:21 am
jamiegramo wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 am If the problem is the diaphragm this could be because celluloid becomes hard and brittle over time. It’s an inevitable problem with most early plastics that they will deteriorate. If the future looks bleak for humanity it is also bleak for the Cliftophone. Perhaps they sounded really good when new, after all Brunswick bought them out.

I am wondering if you could apply a thin coat of linseed or mineral oil to the celluloid, this could then be lightly over coated with a small amount of alcohol (methylated spirit/denatured alcohol). The idea is to penetrate the celluloid and soften it so that it goes back to being more compliant for sound reproduction. Alcohol is an ingredient of celluloid but there is a danger it could melt the celluloid. I guess you could test the edge or I’ve got some old bits of celluloid I could dig out and test with meths to see how it reacts. This is only an idea...

This assumes it’s not the gaskets...

Celluloid goes bad when its camphor content evaporates, so solvents or oils wouldn't help as much.
I have been wondering if the celluloid could be improved somehow, perhaps sprayed or coated with something but I think Curt found the best solution.

Years ago I had a Brunswick Cliftophone with the Cliftophone Amplifier (I think it called itself) and it sounded pretty awful so i’m now wondering how that would have sounded with a better mica diaphragm.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

From my experience, it wouldn't be worth trying to make the celluloid better, when mica or aluminum diaphragms are readily available and sound so much better. Then there is the needle bar problem... :?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:32 pm I have been wondering if the celluloid could be improved somehow, perhaps sprayed or coated with something but I think Curt found the best solution.

Years ago I had a Brunswick Cliftophone with the Cliftophone Amplifier (I think it called itself) and it sounded pretty awful so i’m now wondering how that would have sounded with a better mica diaphragm.
I have two Cliftophones, a portable with the "Cliftophone Amplifer" and an earlier cabinet machine, both with their original diaphragms, and both sound fine, though they're not great performers... Better than the average off-brand, at least.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Orchorsol wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:10 pm [
I have two Cliftophones, a portable with the "Cliftophone Amplifer" and an earlier cabinet machine, both with their original diaphragms, and both sound fine, though they're not great performers... Better than the average off-brand, at least.
My experience is similar to Orchorsol's, I also have a good-looking Cliftophone portable with a record compartment accessible from the exterior, and the original soundbox and diaphragm. The sound is just like the average standard portables of the period, not a star performer but not a dud neither. This means that the presumed degradation of diaphragms is not universal, some survived well to our days.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Would someone mind posting a picture of a Cliftophone? I have only seen the tone arm and reproducer...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Curt A wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:58 am Would someone mind posting a picture of a Cliftophone? I have only seen the tone arm and reproducer...
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... liftophone (a couple of my own videos are amongst the results).
Here's another that doesn't come up in the search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1eigllB7KI
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Orchorsol - Thanks for posting the videos of your machine. The Cliftophone portable is really an attractive one and yours has the same tonearm and cabinet mount that I bought on eBay 15 or more years ago, although the reproducer is different with the cover over the diaphragm. The sound from your machine is very good, clear and bright, so now I know what a good one sounds like. I bought the tonearm, mount and reproducer as a spontaneous purchase with the idea that I might use it for something in the future - it turned out to be the perfect components to construct my Le Palmodian replica.
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.46.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 8.45.18 PM.png

My Wife

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Thanks for extracting the photos Curt!