Source of Thorens parts

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Bruce
Victor III

Source of Thorens parts

Post by Bruce »

I am looking for a source of European parts for a Operaphone that I am restoring. I am missing the speed governing mechanism and the tone arm and believe the original parts were Thorens.

Can any of the European forum members refer me to European collectors or parts sellers who can help me source these parts?

Thanks

Bruce
5036-1_LI.jpg
004_LI.jpg
004_LI.jpg (989.63 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Source of Thorens parts

Post by gramophoneshane »

The parts on the top photo appear to be Paillard, and the second picture Thorens parts.
You'd really have to get pictures of the motor you need because like Victor, many Paillard and Thorens motors had the crank handle in various positions so you'll need to get the right motor to suit your machine and the crank hole in the cabinet

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

picture of the motor you have needed !

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

This site I found las week has a lot of Thorens and Paillard catalogs, including parts catalogs
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48787
Inigo

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Hello,

Thanks guys for jumping in and helping with this restoration project.

I assumed the Operaphone was a Thorens since I was only able to find 7 photos of Operaphones on the net (and from Guido) of which the four I could make out the reproducers all were Thorens. I realize that reproducers can and were swapped out over time but that sent me in the right direction.

Here are some photos of parts which I have accumulated over the years which if they work will be a savings in time.
1. The brake and speed adjuster are similar to the ones on my Thorens Chiadophone
2. The motor is not marked but fits perfectly into the body of the Operaphone, except I will have to extend the winding shaft a few cms.
3. The tone arm appears to be Thorens as well but is a later version and I was hoping to acquire an earlier version.
4. The reproducer is in great shape and I believe period correct.

Any thoughts would be appreciated and any help in finding a source of European parts would also be appreciated.

Bruce
IMG_0431.jpg
IMG_0431.jpg (87 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_0430.jpg
IMG_0430.jpg (81.71 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_0428.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_0426.jpg
IMG_0426.jpg (100.43 KiB) Viewed 1556 times
IMG_0424.jpg
IMG_0424.jpg (135.89 KiB) Viewed 1556 times

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A possible explanation for the similarity between some Paillard and Thorens products is that the two families were linked by marriage, Ernest Paillard and Eugene Thorens being brothers-in-law.
Both companies supplied components to other gramophone manufacturers, and I think it likely that the Operaphone was built using bought in Thorens components.
I have just posted details of another Operaphone type machine which has recently appeared on UK eBay. Here is the link :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48904

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:50 am A possible explanation for the similarity between some Paillard and Thorens products is that the two families were linked by marriage, Ernest Paillard and Eugene Thorens being brothers-in-law.
Both companies supplied components to other gramophone manufacturers, and I think it likely that the Operaphone was built using bought in Thorens components.
I have just posted details of another Operaphone type machine which has recently appeared on UK eBay. Here is the link :

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=48904
I am of the opinion that whoever made the piano shaped gramophones that are usually seen branded " Operaphone " was a British company , quite possibly a cabinet or furniture making concern who supplied their stock products to the wholesale gramophone trade. I agree with Epigramophone that the Thorens components would have been bought in , and of course the components supplier may well have changed at some point. To substantiate this theory , the exact same piano cabinet , usually seen with the Operaphone branding , has been seen in period advertisements from other companies , so they were not unique to the proprietors of the " Operaphone" brand. " Reselbell " branded gramophones were offered in the exact same cabinet , no doubt others too. Grand piano shaped gramophones enjoyed a brief popularity back in the day and the example currently on UK ebay is from another stable , albeit again with what looks like bought in mechanical components. It would be interesting to know the original branding , probably on the original sound-box only , which looks to have been replaced by the current HMV No 4 a long time ago. Regards dulcetto

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Dulcetto

Your explanation seems quite reasonable as several of the online photos contain a range of phono components but similar cabinet design and dimensions.
You mention period advertisements showing the Operaphone and similar period piano style phonographs. Do you have access or links to any of these adds and the dates they were published?

Thank you

Bruce

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Bruce , I can lay my hands on one advert quite easily , for Reselbell gramophones but it may be online as well. give me a day or so to look into it. Regards

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Bruce wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:28 am Dulcetto

Your explanation seems quite reasonable as several of the online photos contain a range of phono components but similar cabinet design and dimensions.
You mention period advertisements showing the Operaphone and similar period piano style phonographs. Do you have access or links to any of these adds and the dates they were published?

Thank you

Bruce
Bruce , If you google search " talking machine review 59 " , you'll find the Reselbell catalogue in that issue. The piano shaped gramophones sold under that brand were known as their " Sheringham Grand " model ! Best wishes Dulcetto