Little Thorens Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

Little Thorens Gramophone

Post by jboger »

I picked up an internal horn Thorens gramophone recently at a local auction. I have found on line a number of Thorens catalogs, 1907, 1910, and 1914. The latter depicts a model called a No. 201 Sphynx, which has some similarities with mine (primarily the grill in front) but also significant differences. I have not found too much on line about internal horn Thorens. Perhaps someone could point me in the right direction. If someone has the same machine or something like it, could you post a picture?
Attachments
IMG_1627.jpg
IMG_1628.jpg
IMG_1629.jpg
IMG_1630.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Little Thorens Gramophone

Post by Inigo »

Check this topic, it will lead you to an interesting website, with Thorens machine catalogs.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48787
Inigo

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Inigo:

Many thanks! I found my model in a 1929 catalog. Here's the link:

Code: Select all

https://www.graphonogram.com/4-documentation.html#form
. And here is a copy of the specific page.
Attachments
THORENSCATALOGUE43_06.jpg
THORENSCATALOGUE43_06.jpg (70.73 KiB) Viewed 1680 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I have most of the bottom. It's not on my machine in the pictures above but matches the catalog. Over time as wood ages it shrinks across the grain. If it can't shrink then something must give. In this case, the bottom--a piece of pine--cracked and split in two. I have both pieces with the cove moulding (some kind of hardwood) attached on either side. But the other two pieces of moulding are long gone, and the piece of pine has warped. The simplest thing to do is make a new bottom and attach it to the cabinet with the original screws. The bottom won't be original but the machine shall surely look better.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Here is a couple photos of a machine very similar to yours to follow if you need when re manufacturing the bottom.
It is an Alura (name on the reproducer) but I do not have any photos of the motor when I serviced it years ago, so I can not say if it is a Thorens or Thornens knock off.

Bruce
IMG_1050.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

This thread caught my eye as jboger's machine has a reproducer very similar to one I have which I knew no details about. Searching the name 'Cristallin' brought up this page which I certainly found fascinating reading so I thought I would share the link here:

http://keithwright.ca/Thorens/Thorenspage.html

My reproducer is in very poor condition but other than
20210314_221531.jpg
a slightly different knurling pattern around the outside (mine has an unknurled central band) and a slightly different needle holder, it looks the same to me

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Bruce: Thanks for the photos of that interesting machine. I like it.

Mrrrgstuff: I find reproducers/soundboxes one of the most interesting aspects of these early acoustical machines. I've uploaded some pictures of mine. It's a long-neck. In fact I can use it on both Columbia and Victor front-mount machines. It does, however, lack that little pin that locks the reproducer into a specific angle with regards to the platter.
Attachments
0.jpg
0.jpg (24.27 KiB) Viewed 1586 times
IMG_1634.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

jboger wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:03 pm Mrrrgstuff: I find reproducers/soundboxes one of the most interesting aspects of these early acoustical machines. I've uploaded some pictures of mine. It's a long-neck. In fact I can use it on both Columbia and Victor front-mount machines. It does, however, lack that little pin that locks the reproducer into a specific angle with regards to the platter.
I agree - and I find soundboxes to be much easier to store than the whole gramophone ;)

Thank you very much for the photos, here are a few more of mine. Some previous owner has modified the neck, but it doesn't have any holes in the back to take the screws of the mounting flange like your one must have. Clearly these are not identical but I'm still of the opinion they may have come from the same source.

BTW is the writing inside part of the back or does it look like a paper label? My mica is too far gone to really see through - but mine does not appear to have any writing inside at all. I will obviously have to open it up soon and investigate further :)

This was one of a job lot of 18 (well 17.5) soundboxes I bought on ebay. I did a little video of going through them - and I am now starting to look at fixing each one:
https://youtu.be/DIDnea5CJSs
Attachments
20210316_183537.jpg
20210316_183640.jpg
20210316_183741.jpg

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

mrrgstuff: No paper label, all metal. The lettering is sunk into the one-piece body of the soundbox, then in-painted with the color you see.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

jboger wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:25 pm mrrgstuff: No paper label, all metal. The lettering is sunk into the one-piece body of the soundbox, then in-painted with the color you see.
Thanks. Just took mine to pieces to see if I could identify it better, but no such luck. I did video the process if anyone wanted to watch though 😀

https://youtu.be/UvH4JfX8QjU
Thanks