Little Thorens Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

Re: Little Thorens Gramophone

Post by jboger »

Yes,I know. I corrected myself elsewhere in a different thread. Having said that, the diameter of the neck is the same as that for Columbia and Victor true long-neck reproducers. And I have mounted the Thorens reproducer on both of those machines. What's "missing" on the Thorens is a little pin that locks the reproducer into a specific position.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: Little Thorens Gramophone

Post by mrrgstuff »

Inigo wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:46 pm MHO... volume is adequate, but freq response is severely curtailed, both in the treble and the bass. A good, thin and stiff mica diaphragm with supple gaskets gives a much better and clearer sound. You're also aware of this, and my observations don't have the intention of make you disappointed, absolutely! In the other hand, I encourage you to experiment with this same arrangement to see how far can it go in delivering a good sound... to find its true limits.
Thanks - yes I expect mica would perform better - though in my experiments so far - thin plastic like this performs better than pretty much everything else - except for mica and corrugated aluminium ;-)

I haven't finally decided what to do with this soundbox yet - but the sound is quite pleasing and I may leave it as it is for the moment. I have other things in need of attention too. I have done some comparison tests which I think help. I would love to be able objectively (rather than subjectively) test the frequency response of a soundbox - but I'm not quite there yet:

https://youtu.be/Me3WSV9OF9c
jboger wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:30 am Mrrgstuff: Sounds pretty good. Wasn't expecting that.
Thanks :) I have had some success with this plastic before. Its thicker than mica and doesn't sound as good - but it still works well enough to be useful. This is my first attempt to put it in a genuine soundbox. Previously its been in soundboxes of my own construction:

https://youtu.be/XqAlJVpN3ZM