The Oraphone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Re: The Oraphone

Post by poodling around »

oliver wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:41 pm Interesting, unusual machine. The oak cabinet looks very nice. I wonder if the Columbia-like needle cup is original to it..
Thank you Oliver. The oak cabinet is really nice as you say.

Interestingly, the 'needle cup' does have a patent number on it - 26241. This seems quite a low and therefore an early date maybe ? Sadly, I can't find any reference to it. Can you tell if it is a Columbia patent or anything I wonder ?
Attachments
pat.jpg
pat.jpg (262.38 KiB) Viewed 441 times
Last edited by poodling around on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Curt A wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:20 pm I like it, whatever it is...
Thank you Curt ! So do I. It is actually really well made and one of those 'cute' machines.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

L & Co refers to the foundry that cast this turntable. (I don't know who they were). They also supplied Collaro. Judging by the speed control this is not a British motor, but it is not unknown for imported motors to be fitted with British turntables. I can't find any reference to Oraphone -- there was a trade mark registered in 1905 called Orophone, from an address in Victoria Street, London SW, but it was removed from the Register in 1919.

poodling around
Victor V

Oedipus wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:14 am L & Co refers to the foundry that cast this turntable. (I don't know who they were). They also supplied Collaro. Judging by the speed control this is not a British motor, but it is not unknown for imported motors to be fitted with British turntables. I can't find any reference to Oraphone -- there was a trade mark registered in 1905 called Orophone, from an address in Victoria Street, London SW, but it was removed from the Register in 1919.
Thank you Oedipus, I really do appreciate your interesting information.

I understand that Collaro was quite a large and respected company.

Photographs of the motor below - a nice, simple, early, single spring - my favourite as they are so easy to repair (and looking at the spring barrel it looks like someone has repaired this before !). Unless there are markings hidden under / 'facing' the board, the only apparent markings are the number 3/33.
Attachments
motor.jpg
motor.jpg (367.66 KiB) Viewed 431 times
motorb.jpg
motorb.jpg (189.23 KiB) Viewed 431 times