EMG Letter

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: EMG Letter

Post by Gramtastic »

It's a theory, but surely EMG wouldn't refer to a governor weight as a "Turntable weight " ?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Gramtastic wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm It's a theory, but surely EMG wouldn't refer to a governor weight as a "Turntable weight " ?
I see what you mean - and I would have thought the same thing - if I hadn't just come across this letter completely by accident .........
Attachments
emgletter.jpg
emgletter.jpg (244.22 KiB) Viewed 847 times

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Gramtastic wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:59 pm It's a theory, but surely EMG wouldn't refer to a governor weight as a "Turntable weight " ?
I'm certain they wouldn't. By "turntable" they would have meant what's referred to in modern hi-fi terms as the platter. It was only much later that "turntable" came to mean the whole record playing deck, but without amplifier/s or speaker/s, as it does today. And before "deck" there was the term record playing "desk" too! Potentially confusing.

Prompted by emgcr, I've just checked three Garrard 201s here and two of them have unusually heavy turntables which could very well contain lead under the felt or between outer layers of pressed steel. They are of similar appearance to other Garrard turntables of the period, but much heavier.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

poodling around wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm
I see what you mean - and I would have thought the same thing - if I hadn't just come across this letter completely by accident .........
Hilarious, but eleven days early surely ?

poodling around
Victor V

emgcr wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:39 pm
poodling around wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:53 pm
Hilarious, but eleven days early surely ?
I see what you mean - really glad you found it funny though.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I have just weighed a 201 turntable - 4 lbs. An otherwise identical Collaro turntable is 2 ¾ lbs. The 201 is not mine, so I hesitate to pull up the perfectly preserved velvet mat to see what's underneath.
The Collaro table, off my Expert, has a small balance weight screwed underneath, just as someone was suggesting, though I don't think it's lead. (Or could it have been for an automatic stop, no longer present? It looks too near the centre to be much use for balancing).

Looking at the two turntables, I'd say they came off the same press. The 201 has an ingenious conversion for three speeds -- perhaps the extra weight was considered desirable for a more steady 33 ⅓ rpm?

While on the subject, I weighed the heavy cast iron 'EMG' turntable on my Mark X: 6lb 1oz. No wonder the springs are a bit tired!

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I think we may have solved the mystery ! It would be interesting to know if the gramophone was damaged by bombing activity as I can't see how lead on a turntable could be damaged by normal usage ? Did a piece of masonry or shrapnel hit the soundbox and turntable ? but you would imagine the horn would be the most vulnerable part and there is no mention of that ..... We'll probably never know.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Hello all! Talking with Adrian Tuddenham yesterday about the LEAD WEIGHT. He suggests the lead is from a lead weight driven motor.

poodling around
Victor V

old country chemist wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:09 am Hello all! Talking with Adrian Tuddenham yesterday about the LEAD WEIGHT. He suggests the lead is from a lead weight driven motor.
What is a lead weight driven motor please I wonder ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

A motor driven by a weight and rope instead of a spring.
Inigo