HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Post by nostalgia »

I today received the front wind HMV 101. In total, it is in very good condition, hardly any marks on the machine.
It also has the earliest version of the no.4 soundbox attached, a great plus of course.
Can someone confirm that this is the 425 motor? I was able to find a photo of 425/426 motor on page 185 in the HMG book, but this motor looks slighly different. The condition of the motor is excellent, it looks hardly used.

The carrying handle has been changed, I have no idea why, but the repair is very visible, and the repair itself has been done professionally. Luckily, I have an original carrying handle on a scrappy front wind 101, and will substitute this handle with that handle.

The lid lock is black, I guess it must have been painted, but if so,..it has been done very professionally, since there are absolutely no traces of excess paint etc.

The motorboard: The two parts of the wooden motor board has different textures, is this normal for this version?

PS. The guarantee sheet had nothing to do with this machine, it belongs to a HMV radiogram...
Attachments
Soundbox.jpg
Motor.jpg
Motor board.jpg
Motor 2.jpg
hmv 101.jpg
Handle.jpg
handle 2.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Post by Inigo »

That motor looks the same I have in an old sidewinder 101 I have, I believe it's 101C, thick metal id plate under the tt, brown crocodile cover, same motor as yours, but later hmv no4 sbx.
Inigo