HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Post by nostalgia »

I yesterday could not resist buying this HMV 101, front wind, on an auction. I already have quite a few HMV 101 of different colors, but not a decent copy of a front wind edition. The hammer price was 35 euro for the machine alone, which I feel was a bargain because how often do you find a HMV 101 front wind, in close to mint condtion. Adding broker fees, postage, VAT for imported goods etc, the end price will probably be around 140-150 euro, but still I went for it.

The machine looks to be in excellent condition, in particular the guarantee labels etc attached to the spindle made the deal for me, even if these papers maybe have been added at a later date, or not. The winding handle looks like it hardly has been used, and the the overall finish of the machine looks close to mint, as I see it myself from the photos. One can not see the soundbox, and since it was not possible to ask any questions before buying the machine, I hope it is present :roll: , and also can ( at least) hope it maybe...is the first version of the HMV No 4 soundbox.

I have tried using both the HMG book and Dave Coopers "His Masters Voice" book to pinpoint the edition of the HMV 101. Because of the black lock, I am tempted to say it is the first edition, since the lock later on was nickel plated, but this may be a wrong assumption, since there are signs that also points in another direction ( soon to be revealed in this text). The HMG book name all editions with needles in lid, as model 101, but I understand there also are variations between the plain 101 editions, since the locks can be found both in black and nickel plate, on different versions of the 101 with needles in lid.

We can see my machine has a black lock, but what puzzles me is the Pakawa handle ! :!:
According to the HMG book this handle was first appearing on the 101C edition, where needles were in front, and not in lid, and the machine also should be a side wind edition etc.

Any viewpoints, corrections and opinions are very welcome, as always. And I will of course add more photos when the machine arrives, but it can probably take a week or two yet before that happens, hopefully it will arrive also safely and in good condition. There is always a risk associated with transport, of course. :roll:
Attachments
HMV 101 front wind.jpg
HMV 101 front wind (2).jpg
HMV 101 front wind (3).jpg
HMV 101 front wind (4).jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: HMV 101, front wind, puzzling me...

Post by epigramophone »

This advertisement shows all the external fittings to be nickel plated. As the only fitting on your machine not nickel plated is the case lock, it is likely to be either a replacement or the original painted. If it was mine I would remove it and treat it with paint stripper. You may find nickel plating or at worst bare metal.

When the machine arrives, remove the motor board and look for evidence of the fixings for an earlier carrying handle.
Attachments
Image (2).jpg

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you for the response Roger. Please have a look at page 58 in Dave Coopers book, you will there see a 101, front wind, that also has a black lock similar to the black lock on my machine, while the other external fittings are nickel plated.,. Viewpoints?

Correction: Page 26 and 38 in Dave Coopers book.
Last edited by nostalgia on Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

nostalgia wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 am Thank you for the response Roger. Please have a look at page 58 in Dave Coopers book, you will there see a 101, front wind, that also has a black lock similar to the black lock on my machine, while the other external fittings are nickel plated.,. Viewpoints?
I don't see a 101 front wind on page 58 of my Dave Cooper book - maybe I have a different edition or something.

I don't know if the black lock is original but this is what my HMV 101 (FW) lock and handle look like:
Attachments
aa.jpg
aa.jpg (231.22 KiB) Viewed 1064 times
bb.jpg
bb.jpg (228.11 KiB) Viewed 1064 times

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Oh ......... on the record sleeve ?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I hope Dave Cooper will forgive me for showing a part of his photo of the HMV 101, front wind, that appears at page 26 in his excellent book: "The Perfect Portable Gramophone "His Master's Voice".
Maybe this lock also has been painted black, and is not original, but it for sure adds some curiosity to this subject.

Sorry, it is page 26 and 38..not page 58..;)
Attachments
HMV 101, Dave Cooper (2).jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:27 am

I don't see a 101 front wind on page 58 of my Dave Cooper book - maybe I have a different edition or something.

I don't know if the black lock is original but this is what my HMV 101 (FW) lock and handle look like:
The picture is on page 38, not 58, and the front lock is very glossy, which the original black ones were not, so I think that both the one in the book and yours have been re-painted. No 101 front wind that I have ever seen had the "pakawa" handle, so that may also be a replacement.

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The lock has been repainted or replaced or both. The same applies to the one in Cooper's book. Don't be fooled by examples shown in either book as these may still be wrong. The worst example of machines being shown with ill fitting hardware and incorrect parts in any book is the Daniel Marty book. Oak horns are shown on mahogany bases in that one!

It looks to me as though the carrying handle is a replacement, including the "pakawa" style clamping arrangement. It looks wrong to me, sorry to say.

I see Barry's post crossed with mine but we're in broad agreement, it seems.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

It will be very interesting to check this machine when it arrives. Maybe someone went to extremes to make it look shiny;) I have a spare handle and lid lock..for the original HMV 101 front wind, so that can be taken care of. Then one can ask of course, why someone wanted to change the handle on a machine that looks close to mint, but...maybe it is not as mint as it looks from the photos, or even put together using parts from different machines. And yet, we don't know what version of the no 4 soundbox is attached to the macihine..if any at all :lol:
I can live well with whatever truths appear when the machine arrives, it is an interesting object whatever happens.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I have an old sidewinder version of the 101 (I believe it's 101C) in brown crocodile that has the old style handle, the old style motor, but the new style soundbox. The handle is not Pakawa, but the same as shown in previous photo in this thread, in great detail. That simple thin leather strip handle was clearly too weak for the weight. Mine was tore down, and I substituted it by a new simple thicker leather cinch, passed through the two rings, and laced outside with its own buckle. Much less soft, but practical, easy and reversible! Besides that, your hand grips the double leather strip and buckle and all, so it's a much more comfortable sensation of robustness and safety. With the original, still usable, it seemed that the gramophone may fall off your hand at any moment!
Inigo