Rare HMV 55 Hornless

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Rare HMV 55 Hornless

Post by JerryVan »

Interesting cabinet construction. Looking at the bottom view that Jamie posted, we can see that the base is made from one piece of wood, with the center cut out. (Versus a base made of 4 pieces of wood with joints at each corner) The question then becomes, was the cutout piece then used to produce the top of the cabinet? Given the tapered sides of the cabinet, it's entirely possible that the dimensions of the top board could be reduced enough to incorporate the "drop" from the cabinet base. It would be a big cost savings and, at the same time, add a nice styling feature, (i.e. the sloped sides).

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Interesting observation, Jerry.

The grain of the motorboard does not appear to match the grain of the chopped out base board though.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Sorry, I can't throw much light on this, except to say that it was not uncommon for HMV to make variations on the UK models for export markets, so it comes as no surprise. The serial number incidentally, is 881, not 188. I don't see much point in trying to 'improve' its horn; the form in which it left the factory is the one of historic interest, and if you want a better sound, buy a 103!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Of course!
Inigo

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:59 pm Interesting observation, Jerry.

The grain of the motorboard does not appear to match the grain of the chopped out base board though.
I was looking for the continuity of grain as well, but couldn't really determine a pattern from the photo. The two pieces would not necessarily have to come from the same board. To do so would add unnecessary complication, for no real purpose.

Pifco
Victor Jr

Post by Pifco »

Could it be a homade case ???? A good one to be sure...

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Pifco wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:07 am Could it be a homade case ???? A good one to be sure...
Absolutely not.