RUBBER GASKET FROM continental GRAMOPHONE SOUNDBOX

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

RUBBER GASKET FROM continental GRAMOPHONE SOUNDBOX

Post by old country chemist »

I am renovating a "Caruso" soundbox, and when I removed the two rubber gaskets which are hard, they look squashed through use. I put one of the broken bits in boiling water-that usually brings rubber gaskets back to their proper shape, but this gasket stays the same. It looks as if it was manufactured in an oblong form and not round.
Does anyone on the forum know if soundbox gasketting was made to this shape? The soundbox is of the "Goldring" type.
SUNP0202.JPG

Yorch
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone lover

Re: RUBBER GASKET FROM continental GRAMOPHONE SOUNDBOX

Post by Yorch »

You can ask to John Sleep Gramophones, search on the internet!
;)

old country chemist
Victor II

Re: RUBBER GASKET FROM continental GRAMOPHONE SOUNDBOX

Post by old country chemist »

Hello Yorch, thanks for mentioning John Sleep. I do know him. Maybe I did not make it very clear, but the red rubber gasket that I removed from the "Caruso" soundbox seems to be oval, or oblong, unlike ordinary gramophone gasket which is round.
Can anyone else advise me of an oval or oblong gasket available for a soundbox.
I did, say as I mentioned at the start of this post, that I dropped the oval/oblong gasket into boiling water, and left it, but it did not change shape. Usually a poor shaped gasket will spring back to it's former shape, at least for a short time before returning to a compressed condition.
There are "lipped" gaskets, such as used on No 4 soundboxes, but this "Caruso" has a much larger diaphragm than that. If it had been the sane size, I would have ventured to have tried the "lipped" one piece gasket.
I did assemble the soundbox with some 3mm gaskets, but when viewed from the side, the stylus bar with needle attached, was not vertical, which would have meant rapid record wear!