Viva-Tonal 113a Handle...Mission Impossible?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Yorch
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Gramophone lover

Re: Viva-Tonal 113a Handle...Mission Impossible?

Post by Yorch »

:lol: hahahah you are great fellas

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Yorch wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:12 pm Hello guys!
Finally I have my handle.
I have modified a "wrong" handle.
I made an extension in brass to reach the motor receiver and I plated the old one by heating it and transferring brass to it . I made the complete "folding" handle in brass as well because the other one didn't reach the hole to store it. All tappings were made using BSF

Thank you guys for your help.
Hugs to everyone!
Looks great! Could you please elaborate on "...I plated the old one by heating it and transferring brass to it ." ? How did you do that? I assume you did the same for the locks, since they match so well?

Thanks
Andreas

Yorch
Victor Jr

Post by Yorch »

alang wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am Looks great! Could you please elaborate on "...I plated the old one by heating it and transferring brass to it ." ? How did you do that? I assume you did the same for the locks, since they match so well?

Thanks
Andreas
Thank you Alang!
Look, You have to put a soft brass wire wheel on a electric screwdriver (the one you use to drill):

To transfer brass to iron you have to CLEAN THE IRON PERFECTLY and put it in a vice. With a torch you have to heat the iron (it depends of the iron and its thickness how much you have to heat it). When the iron is hot you just brush it with the brass wire wheel until the brass transfers to the iron, try to keep the metal hot meanwhile you are doing it by heating-brushing-heating-brushing.

Talking about the heating, for example, all the case locks and the other case parts were made of pure brass except the hole cover to store the handle, it was brass plated but the brass just had disappeared with the time - (you can see the before and after):
As you can see it is a thin piece of metal, so when you heat it with a torch and you will see that really soon its colour changes, that is the moment to brass transfer with the wire wheel. However to brass plate the handle you have to heat it a lot of time because its is a thick piece of iron. You will know when its ready because the brass starts to transfer to the iron.
I hope it helps!

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

How does the pin get removed ?
Attachments
a113 hand;e.png
a113 hand;e.png (275.98 KiB) Viewed 801 times

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Yorch wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:41 pm
alang wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am Looks great! Could you please elaborate on "...I plated the old one by heating it and transferring brass to it ." ? How did you do that? I assume you did the same for the locks, since they match so well?

Thanks
Andreas
Thank you Alang!
Look, You have to put a soft brass wire wheel on a electric screwdriver (the one you use to drill):

To transfer brass to iron you have to CLEAN THE IRON PERFECTLY and put it in a vice. With a torch you have to heat the iron (it depends of the iron and its thickness how much you have to heat it). When the iron is hot you just brush it with the brass wire wheel until the brass transfers to the iron, try to keep the metal hot meanwhile you are doing it by heating-brushing-heating-brushing.

Talking about the heating, for example, all the case locks and the other case parts were made of pure brass except the hole cover to store the handle, it was brass plated but the brass just had disappeared with the time - (you can see the before and after):

As you can see it is a thin piece of metal, so when you heat it with a torch and you will see that really soon its colour changes, that is the moment to brass transfer with the wire wheel. However to brass plate the handle you have to heat it a lot of time because its is a thick piece of iron. You will know when its ready because the brass starts to transfer to the iron.
I hope it helps!
Thanks a lot for the explanation!
Andreas

Yorch
Victor Jr

Post by Yorch »

soundgen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:16 pm How does the pin get removed ?
You have to cut one of the heads (Henry the 8th style) to remove it.
After doing that use something a little bit thinner than the hole then you have to hit the pin with it (with a little hammer) until you get the pin out.
If you cut the head and just the head, I mean the pin have the same length but without the head, you can put it again and it will work perfectly. If you want the head back you can epoxy it just to the pin.
By the way you can buy this kind of pin on the market but you need the machine to put it in place properly.
Hope it helps Sounden

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for the tips and explanations!
Inigo

Yorch
Victor Jr

Post by Yorch »

Inigo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:36 pm Thanks for the tips and explanations!
You are welcome!
(De nada, hombre, un placer ;)