What is it with this HMV 102?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: What is it with this HMV 102?

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, I have a total of 4 HMV 102 with lid panels in my rented storage locker, the rest of my 102s that are in my sitting room have no lid panels. I admit that I did never pay attention to the sunken area around the Nipper logo, and I now also had to dig out a black 102 with lid panel from my cupboard (rememebering one was stored there) to check it and see how it really looks, and of course..it has this sunken area. It is the color difference around the Nipper logo on this painted 102 that makes this sunken area stand out, it also fooled me for some hours here...
I got a photo of the turntable-....red, case closed.
Attachments
5.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Re: What is it with this HMV 102?

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:52 pm
Inigo wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:46 am There's something strange under the lid. The red nipper seems original, flush applied to the lid. But the later (?) green painting seems to be applied to another layer, so the nipper area is depressed from the rest of the lid. It is recessed, instead of being flush... What's that? Did they apply a cover to the inner lid area, leaving the original nipper square recessed?
There's nothing strange about it! The photo shows the centre of the raised square panel fixed in the lid. I've just checked 10 different 102s, and they all have the same sunken area round the HMV transfer. The only ones that don't are the 102E and H, which have no raised panel in the lid.

Barry
And the paining around the transfer part is rubbish they couldn't do a straight line ! :lol: