Mystery - Numbers stamped on HMV 101 Rexine

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Mystery - Numbers stamped on HMV 101 Rexine

Post by poodling around »

I eventually got around to taking an HMV 101 out of storage and having a quick inspection.

I found some numbers stamped onto the rexine on the 'ledge', just above the bottom 'latch' / in front of the motor board.

They look like '1439' then a space and then a 6 ?

I think this is an HMV 101 B, it has 'patents pending', a 410 motor, beaded area, no id / serial number tag / ivorine etc but it has a 'Pakana' carrying handle - which seems odd for a 101 'B' ? It does seem to be an original fitted item though.

Anyway, can anyone help to clarify what these numbers signify I wonder ?
Attachments
1439.jpg
1439.jpg (372.19 KiB) Viewed 1992 times

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Mystery - Numbers stamped on HMV 101 Rexine

Post by nostalgia »

I thought these numbers were part numbers, but I am sure someone can correct me if this is wrong.
Regarding the 101 version, the 101C had a Pakawa handle according to the HMG book, and also a 410 motor. Maybe more photos of the machine could be of help? Again, citing the HMG book, the 101C has a eyeball escutcheon, that I believe is not found on the B version, again according to the same book.

poodling around
Victor V

nostalgia wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:07 am I thought these numbers were part numbers, but I am sure someone can correct me if this is wrong.
Regarding the 101 version, the 101C had a Pakawa handle according to the HMG book, and also a 410 motor. Maybe more photos of the machine could be of help? Again, citing the HMG book, the 101C has a eyeball escutcheon, that I believe is not found on the B version, again according to the same book.
Thank you so much nostagia - your information is brilliant and appreciated.

I think it must be a 101C then, as it has an eyeball escutcheon. (I haven't ever seen one before but it seems to fit the description).

Your book seems to be very useful so I will see if I can acquire a copy.

Perhaps they do represent a part number. I have never seen such numbers in that position before though. It seems a bit prominent maybe ?

I will take a few more photo's and upload them later then just to complete this thread.

Thanks again ! :)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I'm guessing they are cabinet factory numbers. There might be the same numbers embossed somewhere on the lid section, perhaps even hidden by the hinge.
You often find similar embossed numbers on various makes of gramophones, where the same number appears on both the base and lid, and on portables, table, upright and console models.

Where the number is repeated on both, it normally means that particular lid was made to fit that particular base.
It was done so that different lids didn't end up on different cabinets once the final check was done to make sure both pieces were square level and fitted together properly, and then they were sent to get polished, or in this case, Rexine applied.

Once the final finish was applied, the piece were sent to be assembled, and these numbers ensured the same pair remained together.
Without these numbers they could run into problems because of slight variation that Occured through human or mechanical errors in production lines.

If the number only appears on one piece of the cabinetry, then unless written company records exist it's anyone's guess just what they mean because it could be an inventory number, Be a particular cabinet maker, quality control check number or a dozen other things or a combination of any or all of those things,.
Each company had there own various systems they used, so it's impossible to say what the manufactures coding systems actually indicate.

Similar and just as varied coding still gets used by certain companies today.

More often than not, such number mean absolutely nothing to anyone once the item leaves the factor, or occasionally they are used for future reference if a fault or flaw becomes apparent and needs a recall.

poodling around
Victor V

gramophoneshane wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:46 pm I'm guessing they are cabinet factory numbers. There might be the same numbers embossed somewhere on the lid section, perhaps even hidden by the hinge.
You often find similar embossed numbers on various makes of gramophones, where the same number appears on both the base and lid, and on portables, table, upright and console models.

Where the number is repeated on both, it normally means that particular lid was made to fit that particular base.
It was done so that different lids didn't end up on different cabinets once the final check was done to make sure both pieces were square level and fitted together properly, and then they were sent to get polished, or in this case, Rexine applied.

Once the final finish was applied, the piece were sent to be assembled, and these numbers ensured the same pair remained together.
Without these numbers they could run into problems because of slight variation that Occured through human or mechanical errors in production lines.

If the number only appears on one piece of the cabinetry, then unless written company records exist it's anyone's guess just what they mean because it could be an inventory number, Be a particular cabinet maker, quality control check number or a dozen other things or a combination of any or all of those things,.
Each company had there own various systems they used, so it's impossible to say what the manufactures coding systems actually indicate.

Similar and just as varied coding still gets used by certain companies today.

More often than not, such number mean absolutely nothing to anyone once the item leaves the factor, or occasionally they are used for future reference if a fault or flaw becomes apparent and needs a recall.
Extremely interesting information and great to hear your thoughts.

I have just had a look at the lid but sadly there are no numbers there. Even if we never know what they signify it is still great to have them and imagine various possibilities - including those you have outlined.

Thanks as always gramophoneshane.

poodling around
Victor V

Oh. Another HMV with similar stamped numbers ! This is an HMV 102.

VERY interesting indeed.......... and puzzling.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=50383&p=299855#p299855
Attachments
numbers.jpg

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

since the numbers were added post production as they were stamped over the rexine they were not used to match parts but were probably an inventory number for a large organisation probably not the MOD maybe some other government department

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:47 am since the numbers were added post production as they were stamped over the rexine they were not used to match parts but were probably an inventory number for a large organisation probably not the MOD maybe some other government department
Fantastic !

Presumably a large international organisation - as one is in Germany and I have the other one.

Also, a reasonably ' long lived' organisation - as the number stamp difference between my 101 and this 102 may reflect the years between the model production.

Quite large numbers so a large well funded organisation.

So, as you say, a Government Department maybe ?

Thank you so very much soundgen as always. A very interesting and exciting puzzle indeed !

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Yes but your HMV 101 is no 14936 no 14937 might have been a partner desk and 14938 to 48 might have been typewriters or telephones anything they bought and numbered sequentially and I suppose more than one organisation might have done the same

poodling around
Victor V

soundgen wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:00 pm Yes but your HMV 101 is no 14936 no 14937 might have been a partner desk and 14938 to 48 might have been typewriters or telephones anything they bought and numbered sequentially and I suppose more than one organisation might have done the same
I see. Absolutely fascinating to me.

Well, thanks to you, at least the mystery is closer to being solved.

Fantastic !