Unknwn horn--seems Continental

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jboger
Victor IV

Unknwn horn--seems Continental

Post by jboger »

Reminds me of some Columbia horns, which I think were either inspired by or were made on the Continent. But this one does not have a threaded end as Columbia horns do. The locking mechanism is reminiscent of a Victor horn, but I don't think this is a Victor horn either. So there's my question: does anyone recognize this horn and know what machine used it? It's about 32 cm at the widest point.
Attachments
horn1.jpeg
img.jpeg

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Unknwn horn--seems Continental

Post by nostalgia »

I have right now 3 horn gramophones with this kind of horn, and the same locking. I have come to understand it is a typical Swizz/German horn, and this horn is often found in my area in all kind of colors, so yes...Continental Europe.
Attachments
horns.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Indeed a continental horn suitable for a variety of manufacturers. Your orange horn is perhaps a little more unusual as its pattern varies from the other 2 and is quite small. The Victor/Gramo elbow fitting has the tightening slot on the elbow and the locating peg on the horn. On the continental fitting it is the other way round.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

The bright color alone suggested a Continental origin. And yes, Jamie, you are right. The locking mechanisms for the Victor and this horn are reversed to each other.

Thank you, both of you.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've heard these referred to as peacock horns, due to the decoration pressed in the metal around the edge.
They were originally done in a shaded effect using 2 colours, so I doubt the orange paintwork is original.
I believe they are actually German, but many dealers sold them as an aftermarket horn on various machines because they were quite decorative compared to most of horns

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Yes this design is known as the Peacock Feather pattern. Here is mine with the original shading to the interior :
Attachments
Caruso 90.JPG
Caruso 90.JPG (148.44 KiB) Viewed 1115 times

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

A bit worse for the wear but here's a picture. Paint seems original.
Attachments
IMG_1687.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've never seen one of these horns painted like yours before, but just because I've never seen one doesn't mean it's not original.
It doesn't appear to be a respray far as I can tell, and it's certainly in good enough condition to preserve.
If it were mine, I doubt I'd do anymore that give it a wipe down with a damp cloth, then once dry I'd probably give it a wax with a good quality car wax.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

jboger wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:43 pm A bit worse for the wear but here's a picture. Paint seems original.
Over the years I've had several horns with this exact same pattern , in various paint colours. As has been mentioned , they are of a slightly smaller size than were often used on horn gramophones. Although we tend to think of these stamped steel horns as being of continental origin , as probably this one is , it must also be borne in mind that there were manufacturers of horns also in the UK , one particular company advertised extensively in the trade press around 1910 or so , Gilbert's of Sheffield who produced horns in several styles, so it must must not be always imagined that stamped steel horns are of continental origins. Gilbert's was of course just one firm , no doubt there were others, Sheffield being a steel manufacturing region , famous of course for its cutlery and flatware in years past. Dulcetto