Gramophone table

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
pianola
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Brian Chesters from Lancashire

Gramophone table

Post by pianola »

Any ideas what machine would sit on this lovely golden Oak table. It would have a base 15 inches wide and 15 inches deep. The legs are splayed out. I like the needle pot that swings out. There is a sliding panel with cutouts to hold a tone arm and sound box. Brian Chesters
Attachments
C387A454-F823-4D95-BBB6-4B786CC28F88.jpeg
F012D10F-CEB5-4563-8E0B-EC1AB6F204A4.jpeg
7716A9CD-E986-4E0D-8E93-98629605016D.jpeg
4BF4A753-2CD5-4BA8-B640-851DA8FF17A8.jpeg
C4F84E2C-1EC9-4561-9FE7-F9D02120E21E.jpeg
A2A6CAAF-1555-4949-8650-FE0440A3A474.jpeg

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Gramophone table

Post by Curt A »

I have never seen one, but it is very interesting...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Hi Brian

Thank you for posting. It’s always interesting to see such items. As you probably guessed this was likely made for a horn machine. The square top is the main giveaway as a table model would have a more rectangular top. Also the needle dish wouldn’t be necessary as a table model would have its own. So a nice item probably from the Edwardian period with an Arts & Crafts/Secessionist style (the splayed legs). Someone may be able to identify the maker but otherwise an item that could have been bought to go with any suitable oak machine.

I’m a bit curios as to why the tonearm would need to be put away. I note the cabinet has a lock. It could be to stop people like the servants from playing the machine in your absence. A bit like a decanter tantalus. Although the records would be locked away anyway and just the winding handle or soundbox is normally easier to lock away.

Jamie

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Is it for sale?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:34 amIs it for sale?
Bound to be as it belongs to Brian Chesters , Is it really gramophonic though , looks more like something a smoker would have with a glass ashtray in the fold out bowl rather than needles ?

https://www.georgeformby.co.uk/news/new_uke/report.htm

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

soundgen wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm
Bound to be as it belongs to Brian Chesters , Is it really gramophonic though , looks more like something a smoker would have with a glass ashtray in the fold out bowl rather than needles ?

I saw yesterday a bedside table for sale nearby that looked very similar to the one in the photos, square-shaped top with the empty space under it. You may be right in that it is not made for a gramophone, but adapted for some purpose.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Its not a gramophone table but I'm enquiring as I'm still interested in it potentially.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

soundgen wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:56 pm

I’ve seen similar gramophone tables but then there’s probably similar smoker stands although generally smaller. I wonder what the height of this piece is? I think it works well as a gramophone stand although most record cabinets store the records upright rather than flat as is the case here. A feature more of a sheet music cabinet... :?

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

The top "square" looks like a later addition ! Poor corners and pinned in place !
Attachments
agramcase.jpeg
agramcase.jpeg (10.27 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

On the subject of gramophone tables and stands this is good opportunity to show and record this stand currently on eBay. Most on here have probably seen this listing because it’s been on there for sometime! The record holder makes it a bit more unusual. I don’t think it’s a holder for china plates or circular documents but I keep an open mind.

The £400 asking price is probably rather high for the current market and there’s some staining. The most off-putting part for me is the fact that it’s had 2 coats of varnish which the seller seems to think is a good selling point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114627353721 ... SwEWVfCLQ-
Attachments
79ADB94A-A690-4183-9A2D-FC026F2BF901.jpeg