Gramophone table

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Gramophone table

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:08 pm The Ebay example is not available under an offer. The price is fixed at £400. The "Make an offer" option was apparently a listing error (not corrected at the time of writing).
The ‘Make an offer’ option was only withdrawn yesterday, 31st May, as I’ve been keeping an eye on it. After so long with this option available I did wonder if the seller had viewed this thread. The possibility of this being a Zonophone product only revealed in the last few days. A coincidence?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 pm
Steve wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:13 pm So the table is an early Zonophone stand? Do people still believe £400 is expensive? An early Zonophone to put on it would cost you several times that sum.
Definitively not a Zonophone or HMV product. If I recall correctly a small German furniture company. Some of the stands gave a small metal plaque with DRGM on it,
Is it still possible that this appeared in Zonophone catalogues? After all the Gramophone Company pedestals were not made by them but another company, Max Bohme and Co., but are still considered Gramo. Co. products.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:44 pm
Steve wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:08 pm The Ebay example is not available under an offer. The price is fixed at £400. The "Make an offer" option was apparently a listing error (not corrected at the time of writing).
The ‘Make an offer’ option was only withdrawn yesterday, 31st May, as I’ve been keeping an eye on it. After so long with this option available I did wonder if the seller had viewed this thread. The possibility of this being a Zonophone product only revealed in the last few days. A coincidence?
No, I made contact with the seller and pointed out that his make an offer option auto declined any offer, even one over £400!

It was only then he confirmed it was an error in the listing and would sort out - but not yesterday because he was "out and about" and the weather was unseasonally sunny and warm.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:50 pm
Sidewinder wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:16 pm
Steve wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:13 pm So the table is an early Zonophone stand? Do people still believe £400 is expensive? An early Zonophone to put on it would cost you several times that sum.
Definitively not a Zonophone or HMV product. If I recall correctly a small German furniture company. Some of the stands gave a small metal plaque with DRGM on it,
Is it still possible that this appeared in Zonophone catalogues? After all the Gramophone Company pedestals were not made by them but another company, Max Bohme and Co., but are still considered Gramo. Co. products.
Yes and I completely agree with you.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:19 pm They are all slightly different, all 3 the same would be boring! Here a pic of the 1 not buried in the cellar. As you see, the top is more decorative on this example.

The company also made a desktop model ( with free dust)
Thank you for adding to the total. I am curious as to how many you are aware of exactly the same as mine and shown in the period catalogue.
Here on this side of the pond one could argue there are many Herzog made cabinets around. Yet, some models are much rarer than others.
Clearly this German company (if the maker) offered different model/designs yet share (I assume) the barrel type record holder aspect. Like Herzog and other US makers utilizing the same internals in cabinets and externally quite different.

Personally if that cabinet was for sale here....it would already be in my collection at that price.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Yes, I understand you. Personally I think its worth close to asking price but the reluctance to ship it makes it a bit of a chore for anyone not close by or with suitable vehicle.