More pics.
Attachments
E5044CAC-453E-4B27-A058-DFC7EF17CAE3.jpeg
98901E4D-5A2C-4AD4-809A-A7CDED49034C.jpeg

soundgen
Victor V

Re: Gramophone table

Post by soundgen »

jamiegramo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:52 pm On the subject of gramophone tables and stands this is good opportunity to show and record this stand currently on eBay. Most on here have probably seen this listing because it’s been on there for sometime! The record holder makes it a bit more unusual. I don’t think it’s a holder for china plates or circular documents but I keep an open mind.

The £400 asking price is probably rather high for the current market and there’s some staining. The most off-putting part for me is the fact that it’s had 2 coats of varnish which the seller seems to think is a good selling point.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114627353721 ... SwEWVfCLQ-
No way is that for storing records ! So much space to store yet so little storage :D

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The second item is definitely more the part and appears to be a proper gramophone table with storage but its not £400 worth in my view.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

As Jamie says, this has been on eBay for some time. Months if not years! The more I see of it the less I like it.
It has clearly not dawned on the seller that the reason it has not sold is because the price is far too high.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I've just made the seller a very "sensible" offer for it. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind what his / her reply will be! :?

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I fear a very sensible offer is well below the asking price but it’s worth ago.

BTW. The internal diameter of the record holder is 10 inches so this may suggest a fairly early date.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I have seen advertisements for this table, or a similar one with that cylindrical record box, in early literature, though I cannot remember exactly where, so it would take some finding. Interesting that the eBay one is at Hayes -- assuming that is Hayes Middlesex, not Hayes, Kent or any other Hayes that I wot not of. I don't think it's G & T, though -- apart from anything else, it probably predates the Hayes factory.

Dangermouse
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I can resist anything except temptation..

Post by Dangermouse »

As a cabinet maker, antique restorer for many years, the second one looks very poorly made, even home made and never in a million years worth the asking price...

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Oedipus wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:31 am I have seen advertisements for this table, or a similar one with that cylindrical record box, in early literature, though I cannot remember exactly where, so it would take some finding. Interesting that the eBay one is at Hayes -- assuming that is Hayes Middlesex, not Hayes, Kent or any other Hayes that I wot not of. I don't think it's G & T, though -- apart from anything else, it probably predates the Hayes factory.
I also felt I had seen this somewhere, although maybe years ago. So I have been looking through some literature and found this. I can’t be sure if this is the advertisement I was thinking of but the stand does look similar (shape of legs and aprons) apart from the lack of the top record box. It is taken from the French Zonophone catalogue, January 1904.
Attachments
CBC76EE4-9164-4F7A-9C2D-6937A076D4B5.jpeg