Gramophone table

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Gramophone table

Post by Steve »

So the table is an early Zonophone stand? Do people still believe £400 is expensive? An early Zonophone to put on it would cost you several times that sum.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

The Gramophone stand on Ebay is very real and rare. I believe they were sold in the UK, German and Italian markets. Counting mine, I know of only of two others with the one on Ebay. Here it is in a Italian catalog.
Oak Record Cabinet (2).JPG
Eleganti Tavolini (1).JPG

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophone78 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:07 pm The Gramophone stand on Ebay is very real and rare. I believe they were sold in the UK, German and Italian markets. Counting mine, I know of only of two others with the one on Ebay. Here it is in a Italian catalog. Oak Record Cabinet (2).JPGEleganti Tavolini (1).JPG
Thank you so much for the information! The Italian advertisement is not one I have seen before.

I wondered if it was a later type to the one shown in the Zonophone catalogue. I think the one shown in that catalogue must have been fairly obsolete by 1904 as presumably the top record box was for 7 inch records and is only shown there as an ad for the concert horn. Perhaps the reuse of an older illustration which appears quite common in old catalogues.

I note your stand has not been stripped and revarnished!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:25 pm
gramophone78 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:07 pm The Gramophone stand on Ebay is very real and rare. I believe they were sold in the UK, German and Italian markets. Counting mine, I know of only of two others with the one on Ebay. Here it is in a Italian catalog. Oak Record Cabinet (2).JPGEleganti Tavolini (1).JPG
Thank you so much for the information! The Italian advertisement is not one I have seen before.

I wondered if it was a later type to the one shown in the Zonophone catalogue. I think the one shown in that catalogue must have been fairly obsolete by 1904 as presumably the top record box was for 7 inch records and is only shown there as an ad for the concert horn. Perhaps the reuse of an older illustration which appears quite common in old catalogues.

I note your stand has not been stripped and revarnished!
.......or painted gull grey!

Why do they insist on doing that to everything now? I'm convinced todays shabby chic will be tomorrow's gloomy 1930s coffin brown!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:09 pm
.......or painted gull grey!

Why do they insist on doing that to everything now? I'm convinced todays shabby chic will be tomorrow's gloomy 1930s coffin brown!
Or that chalk paint that looks dirty within a short time!

Do you know if the Italian catalogue is for any particular manufacturer?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:36 pm Do you know if the Italian catalogue is for any particular manufacturer?
I do believe it probable this stand has to do with Zonophone. The catalog is from a Gramophone shop that was in Milan.
If I remember right....there is "patent pending" branded into the back edge of the top. I forgot to mention the French market as well. Mine was found here in Canada and I assume came over from the UK many years ago.
It also fits a Victor 5 perfectly as if made for each other.
Victor 5 With 24 Inch Horn (2).JPG

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Steve wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 6:13 pm So the table is an early Zonophone stand? Do people still believe £400 is expensive? An early Zonophone to put on it would cost you several times that sum.
Definitively not a Zonophone or HMV product. If I recall correctly a small German furniture company. Some of the stands gave a small metal plaque with DRGM on it,

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Consider the population doubled, I have 3, (and am aware of about a dozen more - and I do not know that many people) So now Quintupled.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:22 pm
Consider the population doubled, I have 3, (and am aware of about a dozen more - and I do not know that many people) So now Quintupled.
Are you interested in parting with one of your three because I'm ready to cross your palms with silver.

If no one other than Ebayman has one for sale then it does make his example exclusive and rare. There could be 200 out there but if only one is available for sale its worth whatever the seller and buyer decide between them.

The Ebay example is not available under an offer. The price is fixed at £400. The "Make an offer" option was apparently a listing error (not corrected at the time of writing).

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

They are all slightly different, all 3 the same would be boring! Here a pic of the 1 not buried in the cellar. As you see, the top is more decorative on this example.

The company also made a desktop model ( with free dust)
Attachments
sttt.jpg
st1.jpg