Gramophone Co Ltd Monarch ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Gramophone Co Ltd Monarch ?

Post by casey-eamonn »

I have just finished working on the above mentioned machine but want to tie down exactly what model it is. I m guessing its a regular Monarch as it has two mainspring s, the sounbox is made in the USA and has the Angel scribed into the front of the tone arm.
The transfer at the back is badly worn but you can see its a Gramophone Co transfer.

I presume it s somewhere around 1903 -1910 ? I m guessing this as there is no Nipper the dog to be seen anywhere on it.

I also have a very similar Gramophone Co Ltd gramophone with a triple mainspring motor and is a little larger than the a/m ,does this mean the triple mainspring is a Senior Monarch ?

Looking forward to your response

Eamonn
20210427_130835.jpg
Attachments
20210427_130641.jpg
20210427_130528.jpg
20210427_130250.jpg
20210427_124621.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Gramophone Co Ltd Monarch ?

Post by jamiegramo »

Answered here and on your previous thread.

You’ve got a double-spring Mahogany Monarch. There was a single-spring Mahogany Monarch Junior using the same case but without the egg and dart mouldings going around the front and side panels. Sometimes these models are known as ‘Doric’ from the order of columns.

The date is 1907-1911 (source from His Masters Gramophone).

Do you have a picture of your triple-spring machine? It sounds like a Senior Monarch or a style No.7 from after the Monarch name was dropped.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Hello there! a very nice gramophone! Just one point-is the "wax" on the stylus bar to diaphragm, candle wax? The old recipe for the sealing wax for the diaphragm to stylus bar was BEESWAX 2 parts, COLOPHONY (resin) 1 part, but now I use instead one or two drops of PVA glue, (recommended by "epigramophone"). It seals well and is transparent. Also can be removed if required by dropping hot water on the spot, and peeling it off later.

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Hi guys

Thanks for the information, I m gradually getting educated.

I ll try the PVA the next time I m servicing a soundbox as I ve always used candle wax but if something works better why not.

I ve attached photos of what I m assuming is a Senior Monarch, I m interested to see what you think. I haven't had the chance to restore if yet so there it is complete with dust. The horn just came with it but again I assume it s a generic replacement horn ?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Eamonn
Attachments
20210428_101436.jpg
20210428_101418.jpg
20210428_101357.jpg
20210428_101331.jpg
20210428_101305.jpg
20210428_101237.jpg
20210428_100831.jpg
20210428_100807.jpg

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Yes a mahogany Monarch Senior. I think these are nice-looking machines!

You are right, the horn is not correct, it should be a morning glory horn, like the other one you restored, or a mahogany horn. The brake has been changed and would normally have the Victor/Gramo. Co. cannon brake. There seems to be a few redundant holes visible on the underside of the motor board so i’m not sure what’s happened there as the motor appears to be correct for this machine.....

The date is 1907-11. Source is His Masters Gramophone.

You will note that the word ‘typewriter’ has been dropped from the trademark. This particular example is likely to be 1907-08.

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Thanks for the information. You are 100% correct, the extra holes were for some very light wires. I did get a 'Simpsons Electric Turntable' & electric tone arms from the same person so possibly one or both of these were attached at some stage. The senior is definitely not as original and I ve had to get a few small replacement parts for it but I m looking forward to getting it into action again regardless.

The regular monarch was all original as far as I could see, even though a panel beater friend of mine restored the horn a little and found that under the normal black and gold was green paint, so it was probably green originally !!!

thanks for all the help
Eamonn

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

With that transfer, both these machines can be tied down to 1908-9.
The horn on the Monarch is later -- pre-WW1 Morning Glory horns have a circular tapered section between the panels and the elbow, with a less pronounced bead at the joint with the elbow.

mariof
Victor I

Post by mariof »

casey-eamonn wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:26 am Hi guys

Thanks for the information, I m gradually getting educated.

I ll try the PVA the next time I m servicing a soundbox as I ve always used candle wax but if something works better why not.

I ve attached photos of what I m assuming is a Senior Monarch, I m interested to see what you think. I haven't had the chance to restore if yet so there it is complete with dust. The horn just came with it but again I assume it s a generic replacement horn ?

Looking forward to your thoughts

Eamonn
Eamonn,

This Monarch Senior was marketed as the "Ionic" given the style of the columns.

This style is arguably up there with what I think is the most aesthetically pleasing of the HMV cases. Attached is a photograph of my own machine.

Regards,
Mario
Attachments
A4158E92-0202-47BF-8863-24638227E476.jpeg
BC6143D2-C3B6-49E5-AA23-3ABB8DA1A5DE.jpeg
CE5ACF6F-CFE6-40BB-A6D3-2DAC0DC24E31.jpeg

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Thanks for the information Mario. You ve got a great looking machine there !! Just to educate me further, do you find your Monarch is pretty noisy when running compared to later machine from the twenties? I ve restored two other Monarchs and I found them all to be noisy. I m wondering if it s just that the gearing is understandably worm and therefore noisy or were they pretty noisy from day one.
Eamonn

casey-eamonn
Victor Jr

Post by casey-eamonn »

Thanks for the information Mario. You ve got a great looking machine there !! Just to educate me further, do you find your Monarch is pretty noisy when running compared to later machine from the twenties? I ve restored two other Monarchs and I found them all to be noisy. I m wondering if it s just that the gearing is understandably worm and therefore noisy or were they pretty noisy from day one.
Eamonn