Pathé phonograph “Orpheus” attachment

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
PortAbility
Victor Jr
Personal Text: There's always something new to discover

Pathé phonograph “Orpheus” attachment

Post by PortAbility »

I am restoring a Pathé Perfecta phonograph, which is missing parts of the “Orpheus” attachment. The hinged folding rail is present, along with the bar that runs along it (driven by the feed screw). However the parts that hold the Horn rigidly in place are missing. These seem to be a rod, vertical support arm, wing nut + what else?

I can see (from Featured Phonograph #45, and a 1905 Pathé Catalogue - image attached) what the general Orpheus arrangement is. I assume it was common across several Pathé phonographs, including the Perfecta.

Grateful if someone could send me detailed photos of the relevant Orpheus components, and their dimensions. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
Pathe Perfecta - 1905.JPG

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Pathé phonograph “Orpheus” attachment

Post by Curt A »

A pic of what you actually have would be helpful...

There is a small wheel that supports the rod that the horn is attached to and allows it to traverse from side to side. The most difficult part to find is the horn connector which is hinged and fastens to the horn. It allows the horn to tilt up and lock in place, lifting the reproducer when not in use or changing cylinders.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

This is what you refer, I presume. Not easy to reproduce.
Attachments
20210429_092621.jpg

PortAbility
Victor Jr

Post by PortAbility »

Thanks CarlosV, yes that's the missing support assembly. What is the approx length of the horizontal arm? And of the hinged vertical support bar?

As it indeed looks like a complicated assembly to fabricate, does anyone have suggestions as where I might buy one?

Photo attached of my incomplete machine (and yes, I know it won't ever play Blue Amberols!)
Attachments
Pathe perfecta Orpheus.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The approximate lengths are 15.5 cm, 4.5cm , 2 cm. But it is more complex than what my first photo shows. Here it is disassembled, the short rod fits inside a cup to the long rod. You can find one of these in the French eBay , every now and then one shows up for sale.
Attachments
20210429_195814.jpg

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

These are maddening because they are so often missing. The idea of combing French ebay for a loose one is a good idea, and I’ve personally had success with that approach. I’ve also seen homemade solutions, which are not to hard to create functionally, but not as easy cosmetically.

All you need is the rod, and a means of pivoting horizontally on it, plus a means of giving vertical movement of the horn.

The clip and the triangular bit are a convenience but not required for usage of the machine.
Attachments
857BC907-2690-4CFF-BF31-8AC6138EF79C.jpeg
5E99283B-787A-48CD-8629-D5A76D027EAF.jpeg

PortAbility
Victor Jr

Post by PortAbility »

Many thanks all, the further details and suggestions are much appreciated.