A concert in the park.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

A concert in the park.

Post by epigramophone »

Most of the audience are listening to an Auxetophone concert in Battersea Park, but some of the children are more interested in being photographed. For many at that time, a camera was equally as novel as a gramophone.
Attachments
Auxeto.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: A concert in the park.

Post by emgcr »

Wonderful photo Roger. Very many thanks. Important to remember to wear your top hat at all times when playing your Auxetophone...........

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for sharing this photo, from an era where listening to recorded music was a big happening. That said, I would have loved to be there myself today too:)

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Thanks for the picture Roger. The chap standing near the horn's mouth-must have been a chancy business, unless he moved away at the appropriate time when the blower started! No health guidance in those days, no mention that "This Machine can seriously damage your health" The "No8" refers to the record played in the concert. Will we ever know what it was? probably not. Yes, to have been there at that most impressionable time would have been a marvellous experience, even if you were not interested in "talking machines"

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Quite interesting photo! Now that physical media virtually disappeared from the average people's homes, it will not be surprising to see in a few years people giving similar concerts playing exotic things like LP records or cassete tapes to bewildered audiences who could not fathom that music once was played out of solid things and not streamed over the internet.

HMVDevotee
Victor I
Personal Text: Spin'em Fast!

Post by HMVDevotee »

Carlos,

Your observation about people in the not too distant future being amazed by LP records has already come to pass for me! Annually, for a Boy Scout Music Merit Badge, I bring an HMV 102 to a meeting of 11-16 year old boys, most of whose parents, in their 40's, only remember CDs! The kids stand around the table watching and listening to the 102, awestruck! It's pretty funny. I also bring a motorboard with motor and horn attached from another derelict 102 so they can watch the motor run. One 12 year old asked me what a spring was.

R.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

HMVDevotee wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:25 pm Carlos,

Your observation about people in the not too distant future being amazed by LP records has already come to pass for me! Annually, for a Boy Scout Music Merit Badge, I bring an HMV 102 to a meeting of 11-16 year old boys, most of whose parents, in their 40's, only remember CDs! The kids stand around the table watching and listening to the 102, awestruck! It's pretty funny. I also bring a motorboard with motor and horn attached from another derelict 102 so they can watch the motor run. One 12 year old asked me what a spring was.

R.
Time is passing by faster than we can fathom!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

I am a classic car owner and often take a portable with me to shows. The most common questions I am asked are :

Where are the batteries?
Can you still get new needles?
Did you restore it yourself?

And sometimes : Where can I buy one?
Attachments
Thornfalcon 2012 005.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Roger, now you also have to tell what portable you have pictured here :D
The combination of a classic car shows and bringing a portable, is great !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

The gramophone was an Alba 555 in mint condition, but with the worst tracking alignment I have ever seen on a portable.
The car was a 1956 Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire 346 Automatic with power steering, the first British car to feature it.

I use the past tense because both have since been sold. The Alba because I needed the space for better portables, and the Sapphire because it became a troublesome money pit. When I last heard of it it was in Germany.