Is this a Melba or not?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Schlick
Victor II

Re: Is this a Melba or not?

Post by Schlick »

gramophone78 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:36 am What a fantastic and rare set up. However, no matter how many times you use the word Melba.....it won't make it so ;) .
:lol: Agreed!!! (I was even a bit surprised Randy listed it that way.) But it's all in honor of my late father's long standing misnomer!! Sort of a running joke, especially in light of all the things he did get right?!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet..." (Shakespeare)
;) ;)

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Schlick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:50 pm ..."What's in a name? That which we call a rose
;) ;)
"A rose by any other name would smell--and how!" -- some wag whose name I forget :D

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

This is the early version of the stand, introduced in the fall of 1903, see the floral carvings on the door. Thus fits very well with the contemporaneous gramophone model. Here is a thread on the German forum which shows both versions: https://grammophon-platten.de/e107_plug ... 42466.last

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

drh wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:08 pm
Schlick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:50 pm ..."What's in a name? That which we call a rose
;) ;)
"A rose by any other name would smell--and how!" -- some wag whose name I forget :D
We can only try to educate... ;)

Stephan, I guess my stand is a type II ? I use it for my "Melba" type hot-air Gramophone :lol:
100_3799.JPG
Melba Stand (5).JPG
Last edited by gramophone78 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 2:29 pm You have a great machine there and I prefer it to the Melba. It is a machine I would love to own.

The machine featured in the link you give is a De Luxe II (an overseas version of the ‘New Melba’), this is different to the older style ebonized ‘Melba’. The thread shows that the De Luxe II was sold in Spain as a Monarch 13 but, as far as I know, generally appeared as De Luxe II elsewhere.

Jamie
Agreed. When a machine is as good and as rare as this is (even without the pedestal) I'd love to own it for my collection. I find I care less and less about the academia when it's as fine as this. It takes me right back to the beginning when I craved to find any open horn model to have on display and all the books and fact finding weren't in the frame.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In later years the Melba name was applied to this cheaply made machine. What would Nellie have thought?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... c20069083a
Attachments
Melba.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:18 am In later years the Melba name was applied to this cheaply made machine. What would Nellie have thought?

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... c20069083a
Yes, and a reproducer to die for.....if you can find one.
1904melbasoundbox.jpg
1904melbasoundbox.jpg (163.52 KiB) Viewed 955 times

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

[quote=gramophone78 post_id=303977 time=1635808138 user_id=830]
Stephan, I guess my stand is a type II ? I use it for my "Melba" type hot-air Gramophone :lol: 100_3799.JPGMelba Stand (5).JPG
[/quote]
Yes, this is the later version (from 1904) of pedestal type II.

By the way, pedestal type I is this:
Attachments
Pedestal I.jpg
Pedestal I.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 945 times