Sister Stands Reunited

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jamiegramo
Victor III

Re: Sister Stands Reunited

Post by jamiegramo »

Schlick wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:34 pm (But I'm told here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49556 that the #14 is, alas, *not* a Melba?!)
No alas about it. The style 14, like the 15, is a scarce and unusual machine!

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

gramophone78 wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 11:55 am
I know, I know. if anyone has a Melba they don't want, just let me know.... :lol: :lol:.
I am wondering how your beautiful Berlioz gramophone would sit on the black stand? Would it be too big? Otherwise it could look grand... The art nouveau styling of the pedestal is, after all, anachronistic to the classical style of the style 14 gramophone it was sold with, but they still sold it that way! It’s part of the fun of the Edwardian period. The baroque Berlioz may work in the same way.

Of course, it does seem the Melba is more suited to this stand but in the 1900s they often mixed styles.

These pedestals were also sold separately as accessories so could have been used with any suitable machine. I think this was especially so in Germany.

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:14 pm
Schlick wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 12:34 pm (But I'm told here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49556 that the #14 is, alas, *not* a Melba?!)
No alas about it. The style 14, like the 15, is a scarce and unusual machine!
I agree!!. I would love to have either model #14 or #15. They are both very cool and rare in their right......hint, hint.... ;) :lol:

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:51 pm
I know, I know. if anyone has a Melba they don't want, just let me know.... :lol: :lol:.
I am wondering how your beautiful Berlioz gramophone would sit on the black stand? Would it be too big? Otherwise it could look grand... The art nouveau styling of the pedestal is, after all, anachronistic to the classical style of the style 14 gramophone it was sold with, but they still sold it that way! It’s part of the fun of the Edwardian period. The baroque Berlioz may work in the same way.

Of course, it does seem the Melba is more suited to this stand but in the 1900s they often mixed styles.

These pedestals were also sold separately as accessories so could have been used with any suitable machine. I think this was especially so in Germany.
I too was hoping the Odeon would fit on the ebonized stand. Unfortunately, the Gramophone is far too big for even that stand. Just glad the hot-air fits.......for now ;).
101_1605.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

gramophone78 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:13 pm
jamiegramo wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:51 pm

I too was hoping the Odeon would fit on the ebonized stand. Unfortunately, the Gramophone is far too big for even that stand. Just glad the hot-air fits.......for now ;).101_1605.JPG
Why not make a faux top so you can put the Odeon on ?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

soundgen wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:29 am Why not make a faux top so you can put the Odeon on ?
I had thought about this. However, the Odeon is over 25" square and would look so out of proportion to the stand. I wonder if Odeon actually made a stand for this model or ? Since I have not been able to locate another, was it even mass produced ??