Dulcephone 'New Crescendo Soundbox'

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Dulcephone 'New Crescendo Soundbox'

Post by poodling around »

Does anyone know why some of these soundboxes had a 'smooth' finish and some had a 'decorative, engraved pattern' around the front ?

I suspect that the smooth versions were earlier ?

Also, did all of these soundboxes have their own unique production number stamped on the back plate ? Or just the early ones ?

Thanks for any information about this.

'Patterned' soundbox reference:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... x-83553371
Attachments
patterned.jpg
patterned.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
smooth.jpg
smooth.jpg (249.95 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

leels1
Victor I

Re: Dulcephone 'New Crescendo Soundbox'

Post by leels1 »

No, but I think these were made by Thorens. Or if not, good copies. I have a couple of Extra Sonore ones which are the same as this with a mica diaphragm.

The small spring piece of metal that holds the needle bar in place is extremely fragile. So much so I snapped one and had to make another :x

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This recent acquisition has a serial number :
Attachments
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:09 am This recent acquisition has a serial number :
Very interesting epigramophone.

So maybe serial numbers were 'the norm'.

poodling around
Victor V

leels1 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:47 am No, but I think these were made by Thorens. Or if not, good copies. I have a couple of Extra Sonore ones which are the same as this with a mica diaphragm.

The small spring piece of metal that holds the needle bar in place is extremely fragile. So much so I snapped one and had to make another :x
I see.

Thank you leels1

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Mine is the same as the first one pictured in this thread, with the patterned front, and "Swiss made" printed above the stars behind the mica.
The spring metal plate on mine however is painted black and not plated, and mine has no serial number stamped on the back.

I noticed on epigramophone's example above and the other smooth fronted example, they appear to have some sort of metal retaining ring in front of the mica, and neither says "Swiss made" above the stars.
I wonder which design came first?

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

While on the subject of Dulcephone soundboxes, anyone know anything about this one ? it is a "Dulcephone Master" and seems quite early . It has a pin on the back which usually suggests a travelling arm machine ? Did they make one ? the serial number is BS0170
Attachments
IMG_8274.JPG
IMG_8273.JPG

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

The soundbox on my brass horned Dulcephone is the smooth type with no serial number if it helps with the dating ....
Attachments
IMG_8276.JPG
IMG_8275.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Gramtastic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:03 am While on the subject of Dulcephone soundboxes, anyone know anything about this one ? it is a "Dulcephone Master" and seems quite early . It has a pin on the back which usually suggests a travelling arm machine ? Did they make one ? the serial number is BS0170
The "London Made" wording on this soundbox is significant. The design is based on the Nicole Precision Master with it's distinctive spring leaf suspension, and was made by the Precision Engineering Company of 5 Clerkenwell Green, London. The spring leaf suspension design also inspired the Orchorsol soundbox.

Nicole Frères did not survive to see these later developments. The company folded in 1906.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

Thanks for the information. Any idea what sort of age this soundbox is ? Would it have been on a travelling arm machine, or if not, what was the pin for ?