Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Post by Steve »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:19 am --And here I was thinking "wait, they made a pink gramophone?" only to find out someone's colored it pink. The gold fittings outside didn't match the nickel fittings on the inside so I looked at the description & it's been painted or colored or something.
Yes, it's been painted but there is a precedent for an HMV machine having gold external fittings with nickel plated (silver) internal fittings: the 112 portable. There might be others?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:47 am
poodling around wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:58 pm
epigramophone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:25 pm There was indeed a pink 102 which may have been a special order for Barbara Cartland, possibly to give to members of her all female motor racing team who competed at Brooklands during the inter-war period.
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explor ... a-cartland

Those who have seen one, which I have not, say that they have faded from pink to a creamy colour. This takes us back to the question of when is a grey 101 not a grey 101. The fading to a browner shade affects the later version and the 102 as well as the crocodile.
Very interesting. I had no idea that Barbara Cartland led such a fascinating life.

As Steve, Phono48 and VanEpsFan1914 mentioned previously, it is such a shame that they are not widely available - otherwise we would all want one ! It would certainly make a great addition to your HMV 102 colour collection !
I didn't know much about her life either. What a fascinating lady and life she led. I'd have loved to have met her........and bought her 102!!!!! :D
Ha ha ! Many a true word said in jest !

... and of all people, I bet you could have charmed the gramophone right out of her hands !

Happy days !

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:51 am What greatly lets down the Ebay pinkie is, apart from the fact that it's been painted, they've left the square of black behind the decal. If I was going to great lengths to change the colour of a portable, I would paint around the decals too. Sure, it would be a painstakingly difficult, time-consuming and challenging task but with a magnifying glass and ultra fine artist's brush, it would be possible and look ten times better for it.
Or maybe they could have just painted that area pink as well and used one of those replica decals from the person on ebay in South America and just added another 50 squid onto the sale price ?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:19 am
Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 4:51 am What greatly lets down the Ebay pinkie is, apart from the fact that it's been painted, they've left the square of black behind the decal. If I was going to great lengths to change the colour of a portable, I would paint around the decals too. Sure, it would be a painstakingly difficult, time-consuming and challenging task but with a magnifying glass and ultra fine artist's brush, it would be possible and look ten times better for it.
Or maybe they could have just painted that area pink as well and used one of those replica decals from the person on ebay in South America and just added another 50 squid onto the sale price ?
But the person selling it didn't paint it?

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:21 am
Oh, sorry I must be missing something. Maybe the original Phantom Pink Painter ?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:14 am
poodling around wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:58 pm

Very interesting. I had no idea that Barbara Cartland led such a fascinating life.

As Steve, Phono48 and VanEpsFan1914 mentioned previously, it is such a shame that they are not widely available - otherwise we would all want one ! It would certainly make a great addition to your HMV 102 colour collection !
I didn't know much about her life either. What a fascinating lady and life she led. I'd have loved to have met her........and bought her 102!!!!! :D

... and of all people, I bet you could have charmed the gramophone right out of her hands !

Happy days !
You make me sound like a wannabe Don Juan snake!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:22 am
Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:21 am

Oh, sorry I must be missing something.
Yeah, some pink paint!!! :lol: :lol:
The seller is simply selling the pink portable "as found". No one has just painted that thinking they will make a profit on it. No one......not even on UK Ebay! And don't forget, the photos form part of the description! :lol:

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 am

Happy days !
I was thinking more Errol Flynn hamster

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:31 am
Steve wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:24 am

Happy days !
I was thinking more Errol Flynn hamster
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Getting back to the current Ebay one, I'm surprised there are no takers still.

PS - just had message from Ebay: now sold!