Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Post by Phono48 »

I bought this machine from ebay a couple of weeks ago, and it was sore disappointment when it arrived. Far from being "in perfect working order" as quoted on the listing, it didn't work at all, the motor was so gummed up with old grease. The spring bar that holds the crook in the "half-way" position was broken, and worst of all, the case had been scrubbed within an inch of it's life, so that all the grey defining lines between the raised parts of the pattern had disappeared completely This was my major concern, so after pondering the possibilities for a while, I bought a fine ink marking pen and started filling in ALL the sunken lines, which could be seen under a very good light. It took me three days to do the whole case, after which I sealed it with a coat of acrylic varnish. I considered polyurethane, but that takes on a yellow hue after a while, so would alter the colour of the case. There is still a tiny patch of worn covering near the handbrake, but it is not significant, so may leave it alone. After stripping the motor and taking the spring out, reassembly was easy, and after a polish of all the nickel parts (front lid clasp and handle ends are to be re-plated), it's looking good, and sounding great. The soundbox is an all-brass No.4, and has now had new rubber gaskets. There is a distinct difference between the colours of the brown and the grey versions, as can be seen, but I still wouldn't call the grey one a definite grey, more of a light brown. Take a look at the pattern of the case covering, and imagine, if you can how frustrating it was to fill in all those circles and lines!

Barry
Attachments
P1050501.JPG
P1050502.JPG
P1050504.JPG

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Post by epigramophone »

Congratulations on a job well done and a rare machine carefully preserved.
My first inclination would have been to demand a refund, but your patience paid off.

Roger.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Nice job on that case. The alligator himself couldn't have done it better!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Great job, Barry. Well done!

Dare I say there's another grey crocodile 101 on Ebay right now! They're like buses. You wait an eternity for one and then three appear in quick succession.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Excellent job, Barry. And thanks a lot for sharing in detail the process.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Thanks to all for the kind comments!

Barry

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Phono48 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 11:00 am I bought this machine from ebay a couple of weeks ago, and it was sore disappointment when it arrived. Far from being "in perfect working order" as quoted on the listing, it didn't work at all, the motor was so gummed up with old grease. The spring bar that holds the crook in the "half-way" position was broken, and worst of all, the case had been scrubbed within an inch of it's life, so that all the grey defining lines between the raised parts of the pattern had disappeared completely This was my major concern, so after pondering the possibilities for a while, I bought a fine ink marking pen and started filling in ALL the sunken lines, which could be seen under a very good light. It took me three days to do the whole case, after which I sealed it with a coat of acrylic varnish. I considered polyurethane, but that takes on a yellow hue after a while, so would alter the colour of the case. There is still a tiny patch of worn covering near the handbrake, but it is not significant, so may leave it alone. After stripping the motor and taking the spring out, reassembly was easy, and after a polish of all the nickel parts (front lid clasp and handle ends are to be re-plated), it's looking good, and sounding great. The soundbox is an all-brass No.4, and has now had new rubber gaskets. There is a distinct difference between the colours of the brown and the grey versions, as can be seen, but I still wouldn't call the grey one a definite grey, more of a light brown. Take a look at the pattern of the case covering, and imagine, if you can how frustrating it was to fill in all those circles and lines!

Barry
Very nice restoration BUT you are quite right it isn't grey , grey ones are grey and you'll know when you see one !

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

it is definitely what was sold as 'grey'. The colour of the turntable felt shows it.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Oedipus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:54 am it is definitely what was sold as 'grey'. The colour of the turntable felt shows it.
Yes, that and the colour of the horn are certain giveaways.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

I've had several Grey "crocodile " 101 portables over the years and they were all GREY DEFINITELY GREY not light brown :?