Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Grey crocodile HMV 101 restoration

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 am
Inigo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 am But crocodiles are green, so no sense about brown or grey crocodiles... :D
depositphotos_36262435-stock-photo-cartoon-alligator-illustration-for-the.jpg
((me myself is the proud owner of a brown crocodile 101, so... Guilty!)) :D
Here it is, in my record room
001 002.png
Columbia produced a green crocodile 112a portable, but only blue brown and red crocodile were catalogued.
Green must be rare, as mine is one of only three that I have seen in a lifetime's collecting.
I also have the green crocodile 112A. Are you counting mine in the 3 you have seen?

They do look amazing and in my opinion they dazzle in a way the HMV ones aspire to but don't. I think the shear amount of brightwork on display and that metallic blue horn only enhance the look.

They did also produce a brown crocodile 112A. I have one of those too. I never bothered with the red because all examples I've seen to date have faded horribly to washed out pink on the outside. I prefer the 113A in its blue crocodile exterior.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:56 am
epigramophone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:46 am
Inigo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:43 am But crocodiles are green, so no sense about brown or grey crocodiles... :D
depositphotos_36262435-stock-photo-cartoon-alligator-illustration-for-the.jpg
((me myself is the proud owner of a brown crocodile 101, so... Guilty!)) :D
Here it is, in my record room
001 002.png
Columbia produced a green crocodile 112a portable, but only blue brown and red crocodile were catalogued.
Green must be rare, as mine is one of only three that I have seen in a lifetime's collecting.
I also have the green crocodile 112A. Are you counting mine in the 3 you have seen?

They do look amazing and in my opinion they dazzle in a way the HMV ones aspire to but don't. I think the shear amount of brightwork on display and that metallic blue horn only enhance the look.

They did also produce a brown crocodile 112A. I have one of those too. I never bothered with the red because all examples I've seen to date have faded horribly to washed out pink on the outside. I prefer the 113A in its blue crocodile exterior.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with Pink !

Yours for about 500 knicker ! A mere bagatelle !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325656427059 ... R4CXsv6DYg
Attachments
pink.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

--And here I was thinking "wait, they made a pink gramophone?" only to find out someone's colored it pink. The gold fittings outside didn't match the nickel fittings on the inside so I looked at the description & it's been painted or colored or something.

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:19 am --And here I was thinking "wait, they made a pink gramophone?" only to find out someone's colored it pink. The gold fittings outside didn't match the nickel fittings on the inside so I looked at the description & it's been painted or colored or something.
Ha ha ! It was a bit disappointing.

I have to say though that I have a vague recollection that a pink 'special order' one was made by HMV for Barbara Cartland ........................

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Call me whatever you want but if that was original I'd be all over it!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

There was indeed a pink 102 which may have been a special order for Barbara Cartland, possibly to give to members of her all female motor racing team who competed at Brooklands during the inter-war period.
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/explor ... a-cartland

Those who have seen one, which I have not, say that they have faded from pink to a creamy colour. This takes us back to the question of when is a grey 101 not a grey 101. The fading to a browner shade affects the later version and the 102 as well as the crocodile.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The pink one I saw about forty years ago at an antiques fair had bright gilt fittings, not the usual cheap looking sort found on the red leather 101 and 102.(sorry, owners of these machines, just my opinion). I was told by the seller that it came direct from Barbara Cartland, but whether or not that's true we shall never know! I regret to this day not begging or borrowing the cash to buy it, but £200 in those days was a vast sum of money. I must say though that whoever painted this one pink made a good job of it!
Barry

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:25 pm There was indeed a pink 102 which may have been a special order for Barbara Cartland, possibly to give to members of her all female motor racing team who competed at Brooklands during the inter-war period.

Those who have seen one, which I have not, say that they have faded from pink to a creamy colour. This takes us back to the question of when is a grey 101 not a grey 101. The fading to a browner shade affects the later version and the 102 as well as the crocodile.
Very interesting. I had no idea that Barbara Cartland led such a fascinating life.

As Steve, Phono48 and VanEpsFan1914 mentioned previously, it is such a shame that they are not widely available - otherwise we would all want one ! It would certainly make a great addition to your HMV 102 colour collection !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:58 pm
epigramophone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 2:25 pm There was indeed a pink 102 which may have been a special order for Barbara Cartland, possibly to give to members of her all female motor racing team who competed at Brooklands during the inter-war period.

Very interesting. I had no idea that Barbara Cartland led such a fascinating life.

As Steve, Phono48 and VanEpsFan1914 mentioned previously, it is such a shame that they are not widely available - otherwise we would all want one ! It would certainly make a great addition to your HMV 102 colour collection !
I didn't know much about her life either. What a fascinating lady and life she led. I'd have loved to have met her........and bought her 102!!!!! :D

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

What greatly lets down the Ebay pinkie is, apart from the fact that it's been painted, they've left the square of black behind the decal. If I was going to great lengths to change the colour of a portable, I would paint around the decals too. Sure, it would be a painstakingly difficult, time-consuming and challenging task but with a magnifying glass and ultra fine artist's brush, it would be possible and look ten times better for it.