I should be crazy! I bought a broken record…

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonodesbois
Victor II

I should be crazy! I bought a broken record…

Post by phonodesbois »

Last Sunday, I went to several flea-markets looking desperately for anything phonograph related and, finally, found one broken record!
Well, broken or not, a 50cm Pathé record is still nice for display.
DSCN3185.JPG
It should have been an interesting record song by Vaquet “Plus près de toi mon Dieu” (Nearer, My God, to Thee).

Is there a way to prevent the record to fall in pieces?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: I should be crazy! I bought a broken record…

Post by Curt A »

I posted this in 2012 about fixing cracked records and it has always worked well for me...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8860&hilit=broken+record

I'm jealous... :mrgreen: I have been looking for one of those for years...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

phonodesbois wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:34 am Last Sunday, I went to several flea-markets looking desperately for anything phonograph related and, finally, found one broken record!
Well, broken or not, a 50cm Pathé record is still nice for display.
DSCN3185.JPG
It should have been an interesting record song by Vaquet “Plus près de toi mon Dieu” (Nearer, My God, to Thee).

Is there a way to prevent the record to fall in pieces?
The BEST is Captain Tolley's creeping crack cure , repair is stronger than the original record , test it break a record , fix it and break it again breaks in a different place ! :D And you only need a drop on the outside creeps along the crack and seals as it goes and dries 1 Wonderful ! :D all you need is to clamp the outside edge of the crack to ensure the record seals flat :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=Captain ... =firefox-b

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice, thanks Mike!
I used to fix the crack at the record edge, usually this is enough. Warped records are more difficult.
Others I've repaired with drops of super glue along the crack, on both sides. Let it dry and after that I go carefully with a steel needle removing the surplus glue from the grooves, but this method usually spoils the crack edges and the grooves. The record stays safe, but the click on going through the crack is more audible than the crack itself alone. Finally I quit doing that.
I've also bought broken records, those very interesting which are almost given away because of the crack. If the crack is clean, you fix the crack at the record edge only, and it works perfectly.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

That's a great record to own, congratulations on finding it :clover: