That Expert Senior...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Ahmed
Victor I

That Expert Senior...

Post by Ahmed »

One seriously lucky fellow won that Expert Senior earlier this week, and it happens to be me! I am as flabbergasted as everyone else by how this turned out, but I sure am not complaining at all

I couldn't believe it until I had it in my hands, which required 2 round trips at 4 hours each to collect it (I've got an automatic license, so can't rent a van :D ). It was all set up and running late last night, and my oh my have I fallen under its spell!

Condition report:
- Horn: Very well preserved inside and out with no major dings or structural issues
- Soundbox: Expert 4 spring in good condition. Just finished working on it a few hours earlier, and so far I like what I'm hearing. I'll undoubtedly be tweaking it over the next few weeks as I listen to it more
- Motor: Collaro D30 in good working order. Yet to service it
- Case: A bit tired, arriving with tape and water marks. A couple of missing veneer bits by the legs, which have had recent repairs. Someone removed the name tag most annoyingly, and the motorboard and lid stay were missing the screws interestingly. Nothing too difficult to address
- Provenance: None
- Accessories; dry needle storage jar, Expert needle cutter & Expert record brush

What a beast this is! It sounds incredible; lifelike reproduction with rich bass, and an unbelievably wide and deep sound stage. It's like being wrapped in a cosey musical blanket with the singers standing right in front of me, simply gorgeous. Videos below:

- Kirsten Flagstad, Brunhilde's Immolation (Expert Sbox): https://youtu.be/Tr_jW35hzNE
I would call this a soundbox torture test :P

- Alexander Kipnis, In Diesen Heiligen Hallen (EMG SBox): https://youtu.be/W4eODHrkP6I

- Red Norvo, Oh! Lady Be Good (Expert S Box): https://youtu.be/nuC45303NSQ

Whatever it was, I sure am a lucky fellow and an unbelievably proud custodian of this wonderful instrument. Lots of enjoyment to be had

Very happy days
Attachments
front1.jpg
soundbox.jpg
Horn inside 2.jpg
Inside horn.jpg
side view.jpg
IMG_20210612_162626.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: That Expert Senior...

Post by Orchorsol »

Congratulations Ahmed! Such good news, hearing that it's found a fitting owner. What a stroke of amazing luck! And sounding fabulous!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Congratulations! I am pleased to see that it went to someone who will cherish it. Sometimes you get lucky. :clover:

I had half expected that a member of the TMF snagged it.
Best regards ... AZ*

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Very many congratulations Ahmed---it could not have gone to a better or more appreciative home. The sound is stunning, especially where you have used the four-spring soundbox evidencing your great expertise at rebuilding and tuning. What a fabulous instrument and result ! Future happiness is well assured............

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Well done Ahmed, that's a beauty and sounds great.
I'm always dumfounded that this model does not have any storage in it's huge body. It's just empty space. I wonder if that helps with the bass response.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Many thanks all!

@Chunny: I find that very odd as well as it wouldn't have made a considerable difference to production cost/time I'd imagine. I wonder if it's a practical reason perhaps? If you're not quite careful standing up after crouching to pick up a record, you'll end up bumping your head into the horn... Oh the horror! Theoretically it should have an effect on bass response as you suggested, with some low vibrations being transferred into the cabinet where the horn is attached
Last edited by Ahmed on Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Thank you so very much for sharing the photographs, videos and your thoughts.

A fascinating piece of history and an absolute joy to behold !

Very pleased indeed !

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

That was a great machine, lots of Congratulations ! :clover:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

So pleased that it is now in the caring hands of a dedicated collector.
I had half expected it to reappear for sale by a dealer at more than double the price.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Nice sound! I'm glad for you and somewhat envious! :D
It's a joy knowing these marvels go to people that enjoy it in full!
Inigo