That Expert Senior...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: That Expert Senior...

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:23 am So pleased that it is now in the caring hands of a dedicated collector.
I had half expected it to reappear for sale by a dealer at more than double the price.
Yes, I did too. We both know which of two potential dealers we're probably thinking about as well. Neither would have lifted a finger to even dust it, let alone tidy it up or improve the soundbox.

Well done, Ahmed, and thanks for the terrific videos. You were exceptionally lucky but I'm genuinely happy for you and glad its gone to someone here.

Congratulations!

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Heartiest congratulations!! Such a magnificent find, and delighted that you are the new custodian. It sounds great after your soundbox rebuild, and I look forward to more videos. You definitely scored the bargain of the century!

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Congratulations! It always makes happy to see a machine that most likely has fallen into years, maybe decades, of silence, singing again. My favorite antiques are those that you can use, rather than just look at. It has a new life and will be used and appreciated for many years to come. Well done! ;)

HMV130
Victor O

Post by HMV130 »

Oh that is why I spotted your HMV Mod. 511 on eBay few days ago :D Well done! Wonderful machine.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Yes, that mahogany 511 is very nice. I'm thinking of moving to a bigger place so I can buy the Apollo and a nice 511!

Ahmed's 511 is not to be confused with the oak example, also on Ebay, with the recent addition of a faux exhibition name plate which covers a gaping hole where someone has smashed the lid lock out, presumably having lost the key!

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Many thanks all for your kind comments and good wishes.

As Jerry said, it brings me a ton of pleasure resurrecting these once treasured items after goodness knows how many decades of neglect. Hearing them sing again, all tidy and clean sure is fulfilling!

I'm rather limited on space as you can probably tell, and something had to go to make room for this fellow. The Edison C19 isn't going anywhere, so the 511 had to be sacrificed. No complaints at all however! Hope it finds a good home

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Congratulations, Ahmed! This machine will bring lots of pleasant listening hours to you.

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

Hello Ahmed, It seems that your new "Expert" is causing quite a lot of interest with the forum members.
I am glad it has gone to someone who is already appreciating it's merits. And the enjoyment is increased by all the little things that can be done to further improve the sound quality of this magnificent beast! And I read you have already sorted the soundbox!
I hope you continue to get great enjoyment from such a machine, just as quite a few on the forum know the merits of these gramophones, and the wonderment of the reproduction is never lost however much you use it.
Well done to you for being the new owner. I wish you well with the light refurbishment of the machine.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Congrats Ahmed! It sounds terrific :)

David

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

To echo the positive comments, congratulations Ahmed, it couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow!

EMGs are foreign (both literally and figuratively) to me, but someday I'd love to hear one.

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.