Columbia model 214 portable

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Columbia model 214 portable

Post by nostalgia »

Anchorman, nice to have another Columbia aficionado aboard :)
I wish you all luck in restoring your Columbia 114 portable. Here are the photos of the winding handle, I hope they can be of use.
I always felt the Garrard motors found in the Japan made Columbia were genuine Garrard motors, since Columbia in the UK had a strong affiliation with Garrard, and the Nippon Columbia were genuine Columbia machines and not knock offs, but if they made certain parts at the Nippon Columbia factories in agreement with Garrard I know nothing about myself.
Let's also hope the photos showing the Japan made Columbias will be available to see again in the Columbia index thread and the Japan made Columbia thread, these are two different thread. I have all the photos on file that I used for these two threads, but it will be an immense task to re upload, also since it is has become impossible to correct old posts, so everything would all have to be re posted, including both the text and the photos.
Attachments
juni 2022 072.jpg
juni 2022 071.jpg
juni 2022 070.jpg

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thank you! Is that basically the same crank as an HMV 102?

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

And do you know what model garrard motor this might be in these machines?

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

The Columbia winding handle is thinner, it does not fit a HMV 102, to assure..I just tested, since I am today finishing servicing a 102.
I do not have the equipment at hand to show the diameter of the winding handle, but if someone else is not doing it before me, I will be able to measure it in a day or two, when I visit my repair room.
In all honesty, I have not yet serviced a Japan made Columbia, it is on my long list of machines to service, so I can't really tell right here and now what motor(s) are found in these portables, without checking inside one of them. The only one I have at home is the 114, the rest is in my storage locker.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Is there only one groove in the crank? If so, it should be relatively easy for me to eventually make one if I cannot find one!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

No, it has three grooves, like the 102 handle.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thanks! if you get the chance to measure accurately the outside diameter, and the width and depth and length of the grooves, I would appreciate it! it looks like a good motor, and I hate to see mine sit idle for lack of a crank! I can probably find a way to fake it, but having the proper measurements would make it much easier to source or make one.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I will do my best in a day or two.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

no rush! and thanks!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Here are the measurements. The depth of the grooves are the difference between the measures of the outer and inner part of the shaft (3 mm).
Good luck !
Attachments
juni 2022 003.jpg
juni 2022 002.jpg
juni 2022 001.jpg