EWC Cylinder Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Dave D
Victor IV

EWC Cylinder Phonograph

Post by Dave D »

I just got this little project and unfortunately, the governor weights and springs are missing. I tried a Columbia Q governor spring and it is a bit too short, although I may try it anyway when I get a few more minutes. I'd like to know the diameter of the governor weight if someone has one to measure.

I'd also appreciate a photo of the underside of the reproducer. I'll need to make a stylus holder and would like it to look as close to original as possible.

I need an aluminum horn for this and would also like to know the proper dimensions.
Thanks!
Dave D
Attachments
IMG_3871.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: EWC Cylinder Phonograph

Post by gramophoneshane »

Hi Dave.
Seeing as nobody has responded here, it might be best to repost this thread on the German gramophone forum.

https://grammophon-platten.de/news.php

These machines aren't exactly common outside of Germany, so it's likely none of the many collectors here actually own the same model you have to measure the governor springs and weights.

There's an English language section over there you can post in (international board), in case you're not savy with German, and you can use Google translate so you can navigate the forum properly and find appropriate places to search for information on your phonograph.
It may also be best to post a picture of the complete machine too so they know which specific model you have.
They might even know of a source for a replacement stylus bar and stylus, and other parts you're chasing.

Best of luck with the restoration.
From what I can see it appears to be in excellent condition and well worth restoring properly.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I have one of the same brand, not sure if the same model as yours - the decoration on the metal top is different, but otherwise looks the same. The governor weight diameter is 1.62 cm, see photos below. I also took a photo of the reproducer and the horn. Mine is an original horn, not aluminum, but painted tin. Aluminum horns are more utilized in the French Pathé machines, most German machines had tin horns. Hope it helps.
Attachments
20210630_153503.jpg
20210630_153010.jpg
20210630_152823.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

CarlosV wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:11 am Mine is an original horn, not aluminum, but painted tin. Aluminum horns are more utilized in the French Pathé machines, most German machines had tin horns. Hope it helps.
I think it can sometimes depend where the machine was sold.
The small spun aluminium horns were pretty popular in Australia and I believe also in the UK, so you do see machines like Excelsior, Thorens, Edison Bell, and even Columbia Q's turn up with original (and reproduction) aluminium horns.

I've also seen original advertising, I think actually for Excelsior's, with different ads for the same model but drawn with a pressed panel tinplate horn exactly like yours, and with what appears to be a spun conical horn (showing no join between cone and bell).
I can't remember now if I saw them in the Australian newspaper online archives, or while I was looking on the net for information about my Excelsior cylinder phonograph back bracket and tonearm attachment, but I'll see if I can find them again and post them here.
I also don't know if the two different horns were a company or dealer upgrade.
I suppose only an EWC catalogue could tell you that, if one exists.
I actually just checked a couple catalogues I have, and Columbia offered 12" & 14" spun aluminium horns, and Edison Bell had 10.5", 11" & 12", so it's quite likely EWC offered similar choices for customers.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:25 pm
CarlosV wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:11 am Mine is an original horn, not aluminum, but painted tin. Aluminum horns are more utilized in the French Pathé machines, most German machines had tin horns. Hope it helps.
I think it can sometimes depend where the machine was sold.
The small spun aluminium horns were pretty popular in Australia and I believe also in the UK, so you do see machines like Excelsior, Thorens, Edison Bell, and even Columbia Q's turn up with original (and reproduction) aluminium horns.

I've also seen original advertising, I think actually for Excelsior's, with different ads for the same model but drawn with a pressed panel tinplate horn like yours, and with what appears to be a spun conical horn (showing no join between cone and bell).
I can't remember now if I saw them in the Australian newspaper online archives, or while I was looking for information about my Excelsior cylinder phonograph back bracket and tonearm attachment, but I'll see if I can find them again and post them here.
I also don't know if the two different horns were a company or dealer upgrade.
I suppose only an EWC catalogue could tell you that, if one exists.
I actually just checked a couple catalogues I have, and Columbia offered 12" & 14" aluminium horns, and Edison Bell had 10.5", 11" & 12", so it's quite likely EWC offered similar choices for customers.
You are correct, I had in mind the phonographs sold in Germany, where most EWC machines shown in the advertisements of the period had tin horns, either conical as you say or like mine. For sure the aluminum horns were very popular in France, probably due to Pathé's dominance on the market. EWC sold a lot in England, and it is likely that as you say the consumer could choose among different horns at the time of the purchase.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

CarlosV wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:47 pm
advertisements of the period had tin horns, either conical as you say or like mine.
I think I've used the wrong terminology calling it conical, which better describes the straight tin 10" horns Edison used on early Gems.
The horns I'm talking about are the single piece "spun" aluminium horns as pictured below, unlike the 2 piece funnel and witches hat horns.
These horns were never made it tin.
Attachments
IMG_20210701_040819~2.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:07 pm
I think I've used the wrong terminology calling it conical, which better describes the straight tin 10" horns Edison used on early Gems.
The horns I'm talking about are the single piece "spun" aluminium horns as pictured below, unlike the 2 piece funnel and witches hat horns.
These horns were never made it tin.
Oh, yes, these are very common all around, and mainly in France. But the straight tin cones were also in the old German EWC advertisements.

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Carlos! Thanks so much for the great photos! It looks like your weights are nickel plated. I was going to use weights and governor springs from a Columbia Q, but they are smaller than yours. I can order some brass balls almost exactly the same size as your machine has and then drill and tap them. I found that the 3/16" Victor governor spring is a nice match for this both in width and thickness. I'll nickel plate my new weights and they will look like yours.

Thanks again for your help!
Dave D

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Dave D wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:09 am Carlos! Thanks so much for the great photos! It looks like your weights are nickel plated. I was going to use weights and governor springs from a Columbia Q, but they are smaller than yours. I can order some brass balls almost exactly the same size as your machine has and then drill and tap them. I found that the 3/16" Victor governor spring is a nice match for this both in width and thickness. I'll nickel plate my new weights and they will look like yours.

Thanks again for your help!
Dave D
You're welcome , Dave! Yes, the weights are plated (they are the original ones), and your plan to get brass balls and plate them sounds very promising. Good luck with your undertaking and don't forget to post the results!

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

I have the brass balls ordered, but it may take a few weeks to get here from China. Now I am on the hunt for a nice horn for this. I have seen one period advertisement that shows an aluminum horn, but I like the small morning glory style better. Can I have yours? LOL
Dave D