The appeal of Orchosols portables?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

The appeal of Orchosols portables?

Post by Phono48 »

Never having seen an Orchosol portable "in the flesh" until today, I'm wondering just what appeal they hold? If you take the fancy soundbox off, you are left with a machine comparable with any other cheaply made portable from the 1930s. My immediate comparison was with the "Mayfair", which was given away in exchange for cigarette coupons. Hope I'm not sounding too derogatory, but having been under the impression that they were highly collectible, I'm somewhat underwhelmed!

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: The appeal of Orchosols portables?

Post by Steve »

I agree. I think you summed it up very well. The soundboxes are quite special but the rest, not so much.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Steve wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 pm I agree. I think you summed it up very well. The soundboxes are quite special but the rest, not so much.
You guys are forgetting the angry Chuckie- like baby decal. That's TWO special things. ;)

I picked mine up because it's an oddball. Being one myself I feel a connection.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 pm
Steve wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:37 pm I agree. I think you summed it up very well. The soundboxes are quite special but the rest, not so much.
You guys are forgetting the angry Chuckie- like baby decal. That's TWO special things. ;)

I picked mine up because it's an oddball. Being one myself I feel a connection.
I totally get that but I couldn't sleep at night with a lid open on an Orchosol portable - the stuff of nightmares! :lol:

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophone-georg wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:50 pmYou guys are forgetting the angry Chuckie- like baby decal. That's TWO special things.
Whoever thought that decal up surely must have been on something illegal??

Barry

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I agree broadly. But they do sound really good with their correct soundbox. Despite my moniker on here I'm not a big aficionado - it's just that the first EMG I ever bought is an original EMG conversion of a large Orchorsol cabinet machine into a Mk Xb. The hideous bawling baby is safely trapped behind the conduit riser/horn base. 🙃
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

My Apollo Super 9 sounds amazing with my Orchosol soundbox. I'm lucky, the original lifebelt rubber isolator is still very soft and pliable which no doubt helps.

I only wish the Orchosol could play fibre needles!
Last edited by Steve on Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Steve wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:52 pm
You'll have to look for some Apollon needles or other round shank fibres.
Or get an adaptor.
Attachments
IMG_20210620_111843~2.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono48 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:11 pm Never having seen an Orchosol portable "in the flesh" until today, I'm wondering just what appeal they hold? If you take the fancy soundbox off, you are left with a machine comparable with any other cheaply made portable from the 1930s. My immediate comparison was with the "Mayfair", which was given away in exchange for cigarette coupons. Hope I'm not sounding too derogatory, but having been under the impression that they were highly collectible, I'm somewhat underwhelmed!

Barry
I must admit that I initially only bought my first portable because it had the automatically adjusting 'fancy soundbox' - then I bought a second one as it had the manual adjusting 'fancy' soundbox and the machine had the 'non-baby' logo. They were also both far cheaper than you would expect to pay for the soundboxes alone oddly enough and are nice machines.

The irony is though that I actually use my 'Orchorsol look-a-like' Celebro soundbox with one of them. The Celebro seems heavier and better constructed and to my little ears sounds better than either of the Orchorsol's.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

gramophoneshane wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:36 pm
Steve wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:52 pm
You'll have to look for some Apollon needles or other round shank fibres.
Or get an adaptor.
Oh no ......................... the fibre needle adapter ..............

This is one of those items I had the opportunity to buy for 'next to nothing' and didn't and I have regretted not buying it ever since.

Really solidly built / quality product ................. boo hoo :(