Rochdale Road, Bury, Lancashire c.1908.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Rochdale Road, Bury, Lancashire c.1908.

Post by epigramophone »

Many dealers in the early days hedged their bets and also sold bicycles, but here is one who was also a tobacconist.
He seems to have been a Zonophone agent, and Harry Lauder, who recorded for Zonophone and others, is pictured.
Attachments
Bury.jpg

recordmaker
Victor I

Re: Rochdale Road, Bury, Lancashire c.1908.

Post by recordmaker »

The record selection could include Willies Wild Woodbines ( Billy Williams ) Smoke Clouds, and Loves Cigarette for example.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

What a shop! If we only could travel in time and go there by touching the image... :D (with today's money, of course!) :D
It actually happened to me when I was a young man... I discovered an old record store in Madrid that still had plenty of NOS 78s, back in 1978. And they sold them at the last official price they had in 1963, when they were discontinued. pity that I was a poor student and didn't have lots of money to spend. And neither had no room for them, we lived six in a 100 m2 flat... If it happened to me today.... :roll:
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

The combination of completely different product lines continued well into more recent times. I remember in the 1980s, a store in Munich, Germany that sold Tobacco products and bicycles. Standing on two legs would help them survive when one of the product lines had a temporary downturn. Thanks for sharing that interesting picture.

Andreas