How rare is a Columbia 206?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

How rare is a Columbia 206?

Post by Steve »

Inspired by my recent acquisition of a strange Columbia 9000 (thought to be the mysterious and elusive "prototype") which is an unknown variant to many of us here (please see Columbia thread), I'm now looking for a Columbia 206 to go alongside it and my 9000A.

Having done the usual Google searches and Ebay etc it seems they rarely turn up for sale alongside their seemingly ubiquitous cousin , the HMV 102.

I've started a thread in the UK Trader section asking to buy one if anyone has one for sale but I'm wondering how rare they are.

I know there isn't much in the way of information available about sales figures but just would like to gauge from other seasoned collectors what their thoughts and experiences are so I don't inadvertently pass up another good one if I'd have a 10 year wait to find another!

If anyone's sold one it would also be helpful to know the price range for a good example as I suspect it's more than likely going to appear at auction.

Thanks in advance.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: How rare is a Columbia 206?

Post by epigramophone »

A saved search on eBay might find one eventually, but as you say the 206 is uncommon.
About 20 years ago I bought a black one in a junk shop (remember them?). It was in clean condition but had a little woodworm and a broken spring. I paid £20 for it, and Philip Knighton charged me £25 for sorting the spring, so £45 all in. I dealt with the woodworm which never came back.
Several years ago I gave it to my son and daughter in law, who are professional musicians with an interest in my hobby. They took it to my grandchildren's school in connection with a history project and the kids were fascinated by it.
It has found a good home and is not for sale, but there are others out there. The eyes and ears of the forum are now on 206 alert.

Roger.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thank you, Roger, and to anyone else who can help in the search!

There was one for sale on Ebay until this morning, believe it or not. It piqued my curiosity and I had it in watch. The seller is in Bristol (Gary) and sells an awful lot of "merger" portables at indiscriminate prices, usually all between £300 and £350 on Buy It Now irrespective of model or condition. A Columbia 211 at £300, anyone? It was in very nice condition (black) with blue plush turntable etc but somewhat annoyingly was missing its matching record tray and you guessed it, priced at £350!

I thought I'd keep an eye out and kept an open mind about it but someone snapped it up at 8.00 this morning. The moral which says always buy anything as soon as you see it might well apply to me here. I only now realise I might never get another one!

What didn't particularly endear the seller to me was the fact that he ignored my second message asking to see the only side of the case he'd neglected to show off in the listing. Why do some sellers do that? My first question was about whether he was accepting offers. Evidently not!

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

With great reluctance, I can offer you mine. In black case with no blemishes, original carrying handle in excellent condition, original blue plush turntable mat (with a few brown spots) matching record carrier, Columbia soundbox (clone of the HMV 5B) but with "Maltese Cross" front mask. Everything in sparkling condition. Working perfectly. £250.00.
Just one condition of sale - must be collected from Whittlesey, near Peterborough, or I can deliver within a twenty mile radius. Photos to follow tomorrow when light is better.

Barry

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:12 pm With great reluctance, I can offer you mine. In black case with no blemishes, original carrying handle in excellent condition, original blue plush turntable mat (with a few brown spots) matching record carrier, Columbia soundbox (clone of the HMV 5B) but with "Maltese Cross" front mask. Everything in sparkling condition. Working perfectly. £250.00.
Just one condition of sale - must be collected from Whittlesey, near Peterborough, or I can deliver within a twenty mile radius. Photos to follow tomorrow when light is better.

Barry
Thank you Barry. PM sent!

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

During my 2 years of rather intense collecting, I have only come across one Columbia 206, and it is now in my storage locker. From this I realize that this machine also in my area is hard to find.
The Columbia 206, and the fact that it has two variations, despite its short production run is by the way also covered with some photos in the "endless", "Columbia portables... the endless enigma?" thread that was reopened a few days ago: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=42859&p=266284&hil ... 06#p266284