Poorly presented Ebay listings

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Nat
Victor III

Re: Poorly presented Ebay listings

Post by Nat »

Off at a bit of a tangent, perhaps, but apart from the utterly clueless offering, I get very irritated by "Ultra rare!!!" or "WOW!" - usually pertaining to an RCA "original Caruso" or yet another Evan Williams record. Then there are the folks selling a 10-inch record described as "LP" and/ or "Vinyl"

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Another irksome thing: views of all the machine, "EXCEPT", the one that might be important...

Where's the rest of this?
Where's the rest of this?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Nat wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:05 pm Off at a bit of a tangent, perhaps, but apart from the utterly clueless offering, I get very irritated by "Ultra rare!!!" or "WOW!" - usually pertaining to an RCA "original Caruso" or yet another Evan Williams record. Then there are the folks selling a 10-inch record described as "LP" and/ or "Vinyl"
...or something like "one of a kind" on a listing for something that appears again two items farther down at half the asking price (and usually still 10 times too much).

I just did an eBay search for the word "rare," and the results numbered 2,422,792.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

In addition to poorly presented items, I'd like to add outlandish prices. There are just too many items on eBay--and I don't mean just talking machines--that are wildly overpriced. I think many of these sellers ain't totin' home a full bag of groceries, if you catch my drift. As someone has noted above, so much of this is described as "rare." I have little or no gripes with regards to the company eBay, but I only buy new items like vacuum cleaning bags and watch batteries. Case in point: my son's watch needed a new battery. I found one on eBay with free shipping for about $3. A few days later, his watch was running again and the Old Man's a hero. That's where I find eBay a useful forum.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Many sellers of antique and collectable items are too lazy to do any research before listing them on eBay.
Anyone selling an item which they know little about should look at similar items in the "Sold" listings. These give a reasonable idea of what to expect, and as others have said, prices achieved often bear no resemblance to prices asked.
Even then a seller might see, for example, an HMV163 sell for £500 and assume that their anonymous machine in a cheap plywood cabinet fitted with cheap bought in components must be worth at least as much.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Even one of those charity shop "experts" is at it now... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353667577553
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Makes my blood boil, charity or not. They want £700 for a tiny portable but although there are 11 or 12 photos we never get beyond the same photo viewpoint of the inside of the case!

Irksome idiots. I'm sorely tempted to tell them as much. Any charity deserves better than that!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Orchorsol wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:36 am Even one of those charity shop "experts" is at it now... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353667577553
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 2.00.40 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife