Poorly presented Ebay listings

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Poorly presented Ebay listings

Post by Steve »

Does anyone else get frustrated by poorly written or presented Ebay listings? I fully admit its a First World problem and maybe I need to leave it alone for 5 years or something but I'm constantly amazed how naive or senseless some Ebay sellers appear to be when they describe or photograph something they actually want to sell for the best price.

Maybe we could develop this thread with a multitude of sinful listings?! :lol:

Here's just one example to kick this off:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/203544028267

Why has the seller taken several variations of the same poorly lit photo (it's a very small lightweight item which could be easily picked up and photographed outside in daylight!) when we don't get to see the horn or any of the case on the outside?

I'm not particularly singling out this one listing as being the worst; UK Ebay is full of sellers doing the exact same thing. This is just one example of hundreds out there. My question is why?

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Poorly presented Ebay listings

Post by Orchorsol »

Myriad heady combinations of laziness, stupidity, obstinacy and lack of imagination.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

I’m a great fan of cylinders, but my biggest frustration is seeing a group of cylinders, with a photo from afar and a description saying ‘Antique cylinder records, good condition’ with no mention of titles, artists or anything, I’d love to buy more cylinders, but I wouldn’t want to spent a decent sum of money on a collection of Harry Lauder , the same happens with lots of 78s but quite a few people I’ve seen have listed artists and titles

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Sir Harry Lauder. The first time I heard one of his records I laughed a little along with him. By the end of the record the novelty had already started to wear a bit thin. I was offered 100 Harry Lauder records for free some time later and turned them down.

Years later I met a collector of Harry Lauder. Collecting is never dull!

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

kirtley2012 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm I wouldn’t want to spent a decent sum of money on a collection of Harry Lauder
Heeeey, I like me some Harry Lauder! I'd be very pleased if a whole lot of cylinders turned to be all Lauder :D

....One man's trash is definitely another's treasure :D

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Ahmed wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:32 pm
kirtley2012 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:26 pm I wouldn’t want to spent a decent sum of money on a collection of Harry Lauder
Heeeey, I like me some Harry Lauder! I'd be very pleased if a whole lot of cylinders turned to be all Lauder :D

I quite like some of his early 2 min cylinders, "we parted on the shore" & "he was very kind to me" etc, but I find most of his 4 min cylinders long and boring.

It's a shame he didn't record more Ballard's and less comic songs, because he actually had a pretty good voice, like this recording of "Somebody's waiting for me".
https://youtu.be/7acrhn7ZdUY

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Hahaha, would you like all my Harry Lauder 78s Ahmed? Seriously!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

This one falls into the category of "how much history (and grammar!) can you get wrong in one paragraph"? The Victor V in question, by the by, has some gold hardware that must have been imported from a Victor VI, I would think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184152226223

Victor Model 5 Phonograph

Condition is everything when it comes to antiques, therefore it is highly unlikely you will find a Victor Model “5” in such pristine condition. This highly sort after phonograph was purchased with the more expensive spear tip missionary oak horn (the horn measures 16 ½” in diameter). Produced in 1908, few survived in such condition. As seen, this phonograph has the original finish, and there are no dents scratches, no missing veneer or mechanical motor damage. This phonograph works as the manufacturer intended. The phonograph will play 12” - 78 rpm records powered by a spring motor.

Just as today, technology was changing rapidly from Edison’s wax cylinder recordings to the newer Edison ¼” flat “Diamond style” records. Even with all the inventions Edison created, it was the thinner lighter weight records that took up less room that became the standard of the industry thanks to RCA who bought out Victor’s designs when they were going bankrupted.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Orchorsol wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:18 pm

Hahaha, would you like all my Harry Lauder 78s Ahmed? Seriously!
Hehehe, I might take you up on that :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

drh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:24 am This one falls into the category of "how much history (and grammar!) can you get wrong in one paragraph"? The Victor V in question, by the by, has some gold hardware that must have been imported from a Victor VI, I would think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184152226223

Victor Model 5 Phonograph

Condition is everything when it comes to antiques, therefore it is highly unlikely you will find a Victor Model “5” in such pristine condition. This highly sort after phonograph was purchased with the more expensive spear tip missionary oak horn (the horn measures 16 ½” in diameter). Produced in 1908, few survived in such condition. As seen, this phonograph has the original finish, and there are no dents scratches, no missing veneer or mechanical motor damage. This phonograph works as the manufacturer intended. The phonograph will play 12” - 78 rpm records powered by a spring motor.

Just as today, technology was changing rapidly from Edison’s wax cylinder recordings to the newer Edison ¼” flat “Diamond style” records. Even with all the inventions Edison created, it was the thinner lighter weight records that took up less room that became the standard of the industry thanks to RCA who bought out Victor’s designs when they were going bankrupted.
Am I the only one that's noticed that "clueless" means "overpriced"?
The ones I really admire are the sellers that state upfront that they know NOTHING about what they are selling (aside from the fact that it's EASILY worth the $10,000 asking price)...
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek