Any idea about this machine model

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
showgolf
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Showgolf

Any idea about this machine model

Post by showgolf »

Hello , from Thailand

I bought HMV gramophone from online market in Thailand.I’m newbie. I’ve no idea about this model number. Please advise.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Any idea about this machine model

Post by gramophoneshane »

It appears to be a Model 87.
If you remove the turntable, there should be an ID tag, with the model number, serial number and date code on the motor board.

showgolf
Victor Jr

Post by showgolf »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:52 pm It appears to be a Model 87.
If you remove the turntable, there should be an ID tag, with the model number, serial number and date code on the motor board.
I tried to remove but it too hard.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

To me, this looks like model 88, since the internal leaf spring to hold stored records on the turntable is not present. The position of the needle bowl with rubber disc cover in the lid also points to model 88, even if model 87A also had this needle bowl in the front right with the attaching cover in lid.
The corners are very square on the model 87, and more rounded on the model 88, but the corners are quite tatty on this machine,so it is not too easy to decipher, but the missing internal leaf spring makes me go for the model 88.

The turntable will eventually go off, but it can be really stuck. If it is too stuck, you may unscrew the motor board before removing the turntable, since you then may get a better grip around the turntable without harming the cabinet. Remember to remove the turntable clip before applying force.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

showgolf wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:18 pm
The following method works for me. If you can get someone to assist you, remove the turntable circlip, grasp the rim with both hands and lift the machine just clear of whatever it is standing on. If the weight of the machine does not release the turntable, get your assistant to GENTLY tap the spindle with a small hammer and this should release it.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Definitely an 88. The 87 has a taller centre spindle, on which records are stacked for transport, and held down by the leaf spring in the lid.

Barry

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Did you remove the circlip on the spindle before trying? Then use something thin to pry the turntable off...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

showgolf
Victor Jr

Post by showgolf »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:22 am
The following method works for me. If you can get someone to assist you, remove the turntable circlip, grasp the rim with both hands and lift the machine just clear of whatever it is standing on. If the weight of the machine does not release the turntable, get your assistant to GENTLY tap the spindle with a small hammer and this should release it.
Yes, I remove circle clip already but it still hard to pull it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Then use three hands : you pull carefully the turntable from two opposite points at the edge, as if trying to lift the machine, while someone else taps gently on the spindle with a soft hammer. It should eventually pop out.
Inigo