Questio about HMV Portable gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
showgolf
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Showgolf

Questio about HMV Portable gramophone

Post by showgolf »

Hello from Thailand,

I bought hmv portable gramophone from my local seller. I thing it’s an HMV model 88 because it’s look like my model 88 I had it. But It’s some different of my old gramophone and I’ve a two question about it.

1) Is it an original HMV portable gramophone?because A logo is different of my another gramophone (see photo)

2) A sound box is an original HMV sound box or not? If it an original, What is a model number of sound box?

Thank you very much for all answer.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Questio about HMV Portable gramophone

Post by gramophoneshane »

The logo is correct. It's the one used in the late 40's to 50's but no idea what year that style was first used.
The soundbox looks very much like the No.23 on my 88 but your holes in the diaphragm mask are different to mine.
They're also a different design to the No.21 so not sure if yours is a variation of the 23 or something else.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

To answer your first question, yes, it's a completely genuine HMV 88. The soundbox, as said previously looks to be a variant of the No.23, but as it has the usual "His Master's Voice" impressed into the back, it surely has to be genuine.

Barry

showgolf
Victor Jr

Post by showgolf »

gramophoneshane wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm The logo is correct. It's the one used in the late 40's to 50's but no idea what year that style was first used.
The soundbox looks very much like the No.23 on my 88 but your holes in the diaphragm mask are different to mine.
They're also a different design to the No.21 so not sure if yours is a variation of the 23 or something else.
Thank you so much for your answer.

showgolf
Victor Jr

Post by showgolf »

Phono48 wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:54 pm To answer your first question, yes, it's a completely genuine HMV 88. The soundbox, as said previously looks to be a variant of the No.23, but as it has the usual "His Master's Voice" impressed into the back, it surely has to be genuine.

Barry
Thank you so much for your answer.