An Expert Senior, posing for a portrait in the NPG

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
neilmack
Victor II

Re: An Expert Senior, posing for a portrait in the NPG

Post by neilmack »

emgcr wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:52 am Wonderful photos and many thanks for sharing ! I was lucky enough to meet the great man at the Festival Hall on the occasion of the recommissioning of the newly restored Harrison and Harrison organ. He was still very excited about his EMG Xb Oversize which he played every day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26613078

It is always hard to determine the horn size from photos which can be very misleading. The superbly decorated example under discussion looks like a Junior to me but could well be a Senior which perhaps is more likely, sometimes requiring more support.
Interesting point about the horn. I'd assumed an Expert Senior, merely because the arm seemed to me mounted at the front of the base - I thought Minors pivoted at the back, Juniors in the middle, and Seniors at the front.

Great newspaper article - thank you.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes indeed, that is normally the way to distinguish the three models but the dark photo in this case I thought a little unclear and confusing ? On second viewing though I am sure you are right---has to be the three to four inch larger diameter Senior.

IainW
Victor O

Post by IainW »

Looking at the last picture that Andy posted of the young PMD looking into the horn of his EMG, the turntable seems to be sitting at a strange angle. It appears to be tilted upwards towards the front. Any ideas or is it an optical illusion?
Iain