Bargain grey 101 and initial question...

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Bargain grey 101 and initial question...

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:48 am The usual green rexine 101 is a dark shade, but a much lighter green example is pictured on Page 54 of Christopher Proudfoot's book "Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones". Like the elusive light green 102 I assume that this colour was never catalogued.
I've certainly never seen a lighter green 101 or 102, and unfortunately don't have a copy of Christopher Proudfoots' book, so have no idea what to look out for. What I HAVE seen, though, is a beautiful bright pink 102 with gleaming brass or gold plated fittings. (not the dull gold seen on the red leather version). It (allegedly) was made specially for Barbara Cartland), which may or may not be true. It was offered to me at £300, which in the early sixties was a fortune to pay for any gramophone, and way, way out of my reach. I often wonder who bought it, or where it is now? I scan ebay eagerly, dreaming that it may turn up. Hope springs eternal!

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have heard that a small batch of pink 102's were made, and that most of the survivors have faded to a cream colour.
The pale green 102 which appeared on eBay some years ago sold for over £300. Where is it now?

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The green 101 on p. 54 of Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones is the normal colour. If it looks lighter in the photo, that shows that photographs can lie!

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

That certainly is some colour variation!
Attachments
Image.jpg
101.jpg