Garrard No.12 motor - non return spring - help

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
mrrgstuff
Victor I

Garrard No.12 motor - non return spring - help

Post by mrrgstuff »

Hi,

I'm trying to repair a little Garrard No.12 motor. One of the issues is that the 'non return' spring - the one which ensures it only winds in one direction has either come adrift or has broken. I'd like to remove the shaft so I can do the best job of fixing or replacing it - but don't know how to do it

There does seem to be a pin - but a little gentle tapping with a punch failed to remove it. The pin is double ended (one end flat and the other end rounded) and both sit in recesses 180deg apart

I suspect if I removed the rivet on the part the hand winds into - this might do it - but I'd only do that as a last resort. I have to admit I don't fully understand how this part of the mechanism works! ;) Thanks
Attachments
garrard_winding_mech.jpg
garrard_winding_mech2.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Garrard No.12 motor - non return spring - help

Post by Inigo »

I would clean the motor first, it's flooded with oil and grease (no good at all) and you can't see well how it is assembled :D
But I'm pretty sure (only an educated guess) that pin is the key. It seems to hold in place the wider worm gear section. Once this part is extracted, it seems you could slide the rest of the winding shaft out of the motor and spring, by turning the crank or you pull it out from the trunnions. One of those screws should hold in place the end of the spring forming an eyelet, which you must disengage first.
Inigo

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Inigo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 am I would clean the motor first, it's flooded with oil and grease (no good at all) and you can't see well how it is assembled :D
But I'm pretty sure (only an educated guess) that pin is the key. It seems to hold in place the wider worm gear section. Once this part is extracted, it seems you could slide the rest of the winding shaft out of the motor and spring, by turning the crank or you pull it out from the trunnions. One of those screws should hold in place the end of the spring forming an eyelet, which you must disengage first.
yes as Inigo the pin holds the worm gear in place you need to knock it out !

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

soundgen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:24 am
Inigo wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:57 am I would clean the motor first, it's flooded with oil and grease (no good at all) and you can't see well how it is assembled :D
yes as Inigo the pin holds the worm gear in place you need to knock it out !
Thank you very much for the replies. I have soaked the frame which holds the winder in white spirit overnight and it's a lot cleaner :D . I have tried a flat ended punch from both ends and unfortunately all I seem to be doing is making marks on it. It doesn't seem to be budging. The only other thing I can think of is maybe heating it up with a little butane torch as the gear might expand more than the pin, but I am really not sure.

I have another motor of the same model which does run, but needs a good overhaul too. Its non return spring does look quite different. Seems to be a different gauge of wire and has a loop in the end. I can't do a straight swap of this bit, but wonder if I might be better off trying to make one good motor out of the two?

Any suggestions welcome. Thanks :D
Attachments
Both ends of cleaned up pin
Both ends of cleaned up pin
Cleaned up broken spring
Cleaned up broken spring
Working spring on other motor
Working spring on other motor