The MAL sharpener

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Ahmed
Victor I

The MAL sharpener

Post by Ahmed »

I got my hands on a MAL sharpener yesterday, and boy is it a breeze to use compared to my Universal! Not sure one should be that excited about a needle sharpener, but I am :D Beautifully constructed piece of kit

I couldn't find much in terms of history online, so hoping someone here could shed more light onto it. I know they're relatively modern, but that could mean anywhere between 1950s to last week in our hobby!

Sharply yours,
Ahmed
Attachments
20210926_183019.jpg
20210926_183126.jpg
20210926_183118.jpg
20210926_183053.jpg
20210926_183037.jpg
20210926_183001.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: The MAL sharpener

Post by Orchorsol »

My goodness, congratulations - wherever did you find that? With the price the nickel plated Universals can sell for, MALs must be worth a bomb these days! They really are superb, aren't they?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Ahmed wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:49 am I got my hands on a MAL sharpener yesterday, and boy is it a breeze to use compared to my Universal! Not sure one should be that excited about a needle sharpener, but I am :D Beautifully constructed piece of kit

I couldn't find much in terms of history online, so hoping someone here could shed more light onto it. I know they're relatively modern, but that could mean anywhere between 1950s to last week in our hobby!

Sharply yours,
Ahmed

This link may be of interest:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45677

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Ahmed wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:49 am I got my hands on a MAL sharpener yesterday, and boy is it a breeze to use compared to my Universal! Not sure one should be that excited about a needle sharpener, but I am :D Beautifully constructed piece of kit

Sharply yours,
Ahmed
Miles Mallinson was a fine engineer and made these in his workshop about 15/20 years ago in Barrow-in-Furness where he lived. He was a great EMG enthusiast but sadly no longer with us---his brother has his EMG, also up in the Lake District. The idea is based on the Universal sharpener which is good but his work even better. The main reason his work so well is because he used a heavy cast brass anvil (with 250 grade wet and dry carborumdum paper disc applied) which is much more stable than the Universal equivalent which was only pressed lightweight steel. Miles even made his cardboard boxes and took huge pride in everything he did. He was also an extremely nice man. You now have the best sharpener on the planet---congratulations ! You were very lucky indeed to find yours---where on earth did you come across it ?

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Many thanks all, and thanks a lot for the history and background Graham!

It was another lucky find for sure, and an item I never thought I'd ever get my hands on. Spotted at RetroTech UK (formerly NVCF) for the princely sum of £40!

It really is beautifully constructed, and clearly shows the skill and effort that's gone into it. I'm so very pleased I managed to grab it before someone else did :)

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Good heavens, what amazing luck you have Ahmed! Personally, given the value of the nickel plated type of Universal (the next best, and superb) and the fact that these are so much better still, I think I'd regard anything under £200 as a bargain nowadays. I'm really pleased it's fallen into such appreciative hands - as with your Expert!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Miles Mallinson was a member of CLPGS, I believe I've read articles and presentations notices he did write.
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I knew Miles well and as Graham said he was a brilliant engineer and a very warm, kind gentleman. His enthusiasm for all things gramophone and phonograph related alongside his generous spirit and clever wit is greatly missed.

The MAL sharpener was made almost 30 years ago and if my memory serves me correctly cost £12 when new. Needless to say I bought one back in 1993 even though the idea of playing records with thorns was completely alien to me back then! I just bought it off Miles because of its great quality.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Congratulations!! I confess I am rather envious!!

Sharply yours,
Ahmed

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

It's amazing what you can still find being at the right place at the right time! Basically I try to be at all the places all the time just in case :D

And oh wow, £12 in 1993! I'll have two of those please! (Side note; I could just about count to 10 in 1993 :D)

It's a real shame I've never got to meet many of the great names who are no longer with us. Alas, so much if their legacy remains, and I'm glad at least I can tap into that.