The MAL sharpener

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
old country chemist
Victor II

Re: The MAL sharpener

Post by old country chemist »

I bought my MAL sharpener years ago. I think he only made about 12 or so. Clever chap was Mallinson. I remember once telephoning him to discuss the design for a new type weight adjuster. He was interested in manufacturing it for me, but sadly not long after this conversation, he died. A sad loss.
I still have the box and instructions, and 10 "fat" thorns in their little packet which he supplied with the sharpener. I still use the sharpener, alongside the Davey sharpener with the grindstone wheel.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

old country chemist wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 am I bought my MAL sharpener years ago. I think he only made about 12 or so. Clever chap was Mallinson. I remember once telephoning him to discuss the design for a new type weight adjuster. He was interested in manufacturing it for me, but sadly not long after this conversation, he died. A sad loss.
I still have the box and instructions, and 10 "fat" thorns in their little packet which he supplied with the sharpener. I still use the sharpener, alongside the Davey sharpener with the grindstone wheel.
He made a lot more than 12, I can tell you! He was certainly a very skilled and clever chap, as is his (twin?) brother.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Since it reportedly works so well and since it reportedly sells for over 200£, what if anyone owning the appropriate machinery would craft a new batch of MAL-type sharpeners?
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Yes indeed ! I have had that project on the back burner for many years but there are so many projects...............

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Count me among your customers... ;)

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Thank you Marco and if many others say the same thing I might be happy to oblige.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

yes a brilliant man , he once had an Edison with a missing ident plate so he photoed one then acid etched a new one ! He repainted a Gem for me which a customer gave me to restore , unfortunately it took 18 months to send back to me and he charged £0 :D but by then I had lost the paperwork so i still have the Gem base here anyone here sent it to me ?

His answerphone message was very funny with Nipper running amok causing mayhem , I wish I had recorded it , perhaps someone has ?

Paolo_MK68
Victor Jr

Post by Paolo_MK68 »

emgcr wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 am Thank you Marco and if many others say the same thing I might be happy to oblige.
I would humbly define me as interested in a MAL sharpener, if and when a new batch will be available.

shoshani
Victor I

Post by shoshani »

I'm also interested! I actually have a sample packet of BCN, and I haven't purchased any yet because of lack of a suitable sharpener - a problem that's possibly a bit more acute here in the US than the UK where these needles were more popular, and thus potentially have more vintage sharpeners available...

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I remember Miles saying that he wasn't making any more sharpeners because he couldn't get the right kind of brass. It would only have affected the colour slightly, but Miles was a perfectionist. He was indeed the twin brother of Roger, and I believe they had had much fun in earlier life pretending to be each other. Another of Miles's jokes was that in his aged but immaculate Volkswagen Golf was a tape which, when the ignition key was turned, produced the sound of a car refusing to start.