Recent EMG Mk.IV prices.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Recent EMG Mk.IV prices.

Post by epigramophone »

On 2nd October this example, which the auctioneers had failed to identify, sold for £650 against a pre sale estimate of £20-£40 :shock: .
After 25.2% Buyer's Premium the total paid was £813.80. I leave it to you to decide whether the auctioneers earned their fat fee.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... lotDetails

On the following day another Mk.IV sold at the CLPGS Member's Auction at Malvern for £750. This one had both the EMG and the Meltrope soundboxes, and the modest 5% Buyer's Premium meant that the total payable was lower at £787.50.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Recent EMG Mk.IV prices.

Post by Orchorsol »

Yes indeed, I was an underbidder on the one at auction. As always, I wonder who got it! It has finish damage and woodworm in the lid, and appears to be an early example, possibly 1929 - that might increase its appeal to some enthusiasts, but on the other hand, later examples are more attractive with beautiful gold and black crackle finishes to the horn interior.

My impression in recent years is that £1500 seems to be about the top value of a good one.

Interesting to hear about the one at Malvern - I really must get there one of these years!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Considering our Late friend, Frank James, didn't rate this model one little bit and was all too happy to pass it on whenever he acquired one, I'd think £800 was a lot of money to anyone for what is essentially a table model with arguably only slightly above average sound quality for the period.

As Orchorsol says, the later versions with black and gold horns are more attractive though.

Is the Mark IV a cheater's way of acquiring a cheaper soundbox, possibly?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

And most of all... An emg tonearm, which must be rarer than the soundboxes. Although maybe it's smaller than the ones for the ix and x...
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Malvern Mk.IV had the black and gold horn and a bonus Meltrope III thrown in. I don't know who bought it.

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Steve wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:00 pm Considering our Late friend, Frank James, didn't rate this model one little bit and was all too happy to pass it on whenever he acquired one, I'd think £800 was a lot of money to anyone for what is essentially a table model with arguably only slightly above average sound quality for the period.

All the same, it's a machine I wouldn't say no to .....

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Really interesting both sold the same weekend!

Had I thought it'd go under a grand, I would have been tempted to bid mostly for the soundbox (..and the novelty factor!)

As it happens, I've been made aware one of them will be resurfacing soon, undoubtedly with a healthy markup. So do keep your eyes on the usual places if you still fancy one

old country chemist
Victor II

Post by old country chemist »

I bought a late mark4 EMG from Philip Knighton in the early 1990s. I remember paying him over £200 for it. It was just perfect in every way-EXCEPT that the sound was somewhat disappointing. It did have the correct two spring soundbox as well. I think I sold it for £300 a couple of years later.
UI have seen several over the years, but all ones with block door handles-rather plain, perhaps ugly. I read that the one at auction had the diamond door handles, showing it to be an early model. I cannot work out why they are fetching these good prices. Perhaps a whole machine for £800 may seem cheap if it has the correct 2 spring box, which might very well be removed and fitted an EMG external horn machine that does not contain the correct one to increase it's value.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

old country chemist wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:51 am I have seen several over the years, but all ones with block door handles-rather plain, perhaps ugly.
ALL EMGs' and Experts are ugly! (I await the flak!) :D

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Phono48 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:54 pm
old country chemist wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:51 am I have seen several over the years, but all ones with block door handles-rather plain, perhaps ugly.
ALL EMGs' and Experts are ugly! (I await the flak!) :D
Not biting 🐟 😁
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?